Jun 21, 2013, 8:04 AM EST
The details of the bid aren’t known, but the Flyers aren’t really talking to the Kings and likely don’t want to match what’s already on the table at this time.
Although Toronto is believed to be the current leaders for Bernier’s services and the Flyers might be out, the Florida Panthers, New York Islanders, Minnesota Wild, and recently the New Jersey Devils have also been listed as possible trading partners.
The Devils would be an interesting choice as they already have Martin Brodeur and Johan Hedberg signed for the 2013-14 campaign. Still, the Brodeur era is coming to a close and acquiring the 24-year-old goaltender would help ease the transition. After years working as Jonathan Quick‘s understudy, it’s believed that Bernier is ready to serve as a number one netminder.
If he does end up going to Toronto, he will likely have to compete for playing time with 25-year-old goaltender James Reimer. Reimer is coming off of a great season and Toronto likely sees a Bernier acquisition as a way to hedge their bets in the hopes that at least one of their young goaltenders lives up to expectations in the long run.
Meanwhile, the Philadelphia Flyers still have to come to a decision on whether or not to buy out Ilya Bryzgalov‘s contract. They could certainly use the cap space, even after committing to use a compliance buyout on Daniel Briere, but it’s believed that they will only get rid of their current goaltender is they feel confident in their alternatives.
Getting Bernier might have facilitated Bryzgalov’s dismissal, but based on this report, it looks like Philadelphia might have to look elsewhere for goaltending.
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 0
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 6
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 9
- Breaking: Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 24
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)