Jun 21, 2013, 8:04 AM EDT
The details of the bid aren’t known, but the Flyers aren’t really talking to the Kings and likely don’t want to match what’s already on the table at this time.
Although Toronto is believed to be the current leaders for Bernier’s services and the Flyers might be out, the Florida Panthers, New York Islanders, Minnesota Wild, and recently the New Jersey Devils have also been listed as possible trading partners.
The Devils would be an interesting choice as they already have Martin Brodeur and Johan Hedberg signed for the 2013-14 campaign. Still, the Brodeur era is coming to a close and acquiring the 24-year-old goaltender would help ease the transition. After years working as Jonathan Quick‘s understudy, it’s believed that Bernier is ready to serve as a number one netminder.
If he does end up going to Toronto, he will likely have to compete for playing time with 25-year-old goaltender James Reimer. Reimer is coming off of a great season and Toronto likely sees a Bernier acquisition as a way to hedge their bets in the hopes that at least one of their young goaltenders lives up to expectations in the long run.
Meanwhile, the Philadelphia Flyers still have to come to a decision on whether or not to buy out Ilya Bryzgalov‘s contract. They could certainly use the cap space, even after committing to use a compliance buyout on Daniel Briere, but it’s believed that they will only get rid of their current goaltender is they feel confident in their alternatives.
Getting Bernier might have facilitated Bryzgalov’s dismissal, but based on this report, it looks like Philadelphia might have to look elsewhere for goaltending.
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 0
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 5
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 15
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 21
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 11
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 20
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 23
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 25
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 53
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 22
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)