Jun 21, 2013, 8:04 AM EST
The details of the bid aren’t known, but the Flyers aren’t really talking to the Kings and likely don’t want to match what’s already on the table at this time.
Although Toronto is believed to be the current leaders for Bernier’s services and the Flyers might be out, the Florida Panthers, New York Islanders, Minnesota Wild, and recently the New Jersey Devils have also been listed as possible trading partners.
The Devils would be an interesting choice as they already have Martin Brodeur and Johan Hedberg signed for the 2013-14 campaign. Still, the Brodeur era is coming to a close and acquiring the 24-year-old goaltender would help ease the transition. After years working as Jonathan Quick‘s understudy, it’s believed that Bernier is ready to serve as a number one netminder.
If he does end up going to Toronto, he will likely have to compete for playing time with 25-year-old goaltender James Reimer. Reimer is coming off of a great season and Toronto likely sees a Bernier acquisition as a way to hedge their bets in the hopes that at least one of their young goaltenders lives up to expectations in the long run.
Meanwhile, the Philadelphia Flyers still have to come to a decision on whether or not to buy out Ilya Bryzgalov‘s contract. They could certainly use the cap space, even after committing to use a compliance buyout on Daniel Briere, but it’s believed that they will only get rid of their current goaltender is they feel confident in their alternatives.
Getting Bernier might have facilitated Bryzgalov’s dismissal, but based on this report, it looks like Philadelphia might have to look elsewhere for goaltending.
- Roy: ‘They got away with things that we could not’ 1
- Video: Panthers’ Luongo leaves game due to injury (Updated) 0
- Video: Jets’ Lowry hits Sabres’ Kaleta from behind 5
- Video: Lightning pay tribute to St. Louis 5
- He’s baaaaack: Brodeur joins Blues on tryout basis 19
- Chelios calls ex-teammate Shanahan an inexperienced ‘politician’ 16
- Sharks players go to bat for McLellan: ‘Why would you get rid of him?’ 1
- Garbutt to have hearing for kneeing Hall 3
- The day before Thanksgiving, six new playoff teams 16
- What they’re saying about St. Louis’ return to Tampa Bay 24
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (99)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)