Jun 21, 2013, 3:30 PM EDT
Count New Jersey general manager Lou Lamoriello among those not on board with hybrid icing.
“I don’t like the idea that it’s another judgment call [for officials] when we’ve had something exact,” he told Tom Gulitti of NorthJersey.com. “I do know that we all have to look at safety, but I think that our players have learned how to turn and not turn and we can solve the whole problem by taking the trapezoid out and making it a lot easier.
“I just don’t like the idea that it’s another judgment call.”
Hybrid icing — a mixture of touch and no-touch icing that’s reliant on the linesmen’s discretion — will be implemented on a trial basis for the 2013-14 NHL preseason.
During this week’s GM meetings, a decision was made for the NHL and NHLPA to vote at the end of the exhibition campaign to see if they want to implement it for the regular season as well.
“There’s different types of the hybrid icing that have been used in different leagues, so we’re still going to hammer some of those details out,” NHLPA special assistant Mathieu Schneider said. “But essentially it’s meant to eliminate guys going full speed into the end boards.
“If it makes the game safer, it’s a great thing.”
Lamoriello said he and the Devils organization will keep a close eye on the preseason test period.
“The trial basis, I’m not a fan of the hybrid icing, but we’ll watch it,” he said. “I don’t’ think you turn your head on anything. We’ll just see how it goes.”
- McDavid on teams possibly tanking for him: ‘It’s pretty crazy’ 10
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history 38
- Under Pressure: Mike Johnston 17
- It’s Pittsburgh Penguins Day at PHT 33
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 47
- Tank defense: NHL changes up Draft Lottery format 53
- Fanspeak: Clarke voted greatest Flyer in franchise history 36
- Different tune: Moore hasn’t settled with Bertuzzi, says brother (Updated) 31
- Rangers win Kevin Hayes sweepstakes 30
- Kovalev compares Subban to Leetch, says he isn’t worth the money 54