Jun 21, 2013, 3:30 PM EDT
Count New Jersey general manager Lou Lamoriello among those not on board with hybrid icing.
“I don’t like the idea that it’s another judgment call [for officials] when we’ve had something exact,” he told Tom Gulitti of NorthJersey.com. “I do know that we all have to look at safety, but I think that our players have learned how to turn and not turn and we can solve the whole problem by taking the trapezoid out and making it a lot easier.
“I just don’t like the idea that it’s another judgment call.”
Hybrid icing — a mixture of touch and no-touch icing that’s reliant on the linesmen’s discretion — will be implemented on a trial basis for the 2013-14 NHL preseason.
During this week’s GM meetings, a decision was made for the NHL and NHLPA to vote at the end of the exhibition campaign to see if they want to implement it for the regular season as well.
“There’s different types of the hybrid icing that have been used in different leagues, so we’re still going to hammer some of those details out,” NHLPA special assistant Mathieu Schneider said. “But essentially it’s meant to eliminate guys going full speed into the end boards.
“If it makes the game safer, it’s a great thing.”
Lamoriello said he and the Devils organization will keep a close eye on the preseason test period.
“The trial basis, I’m not a fan of the hybrid icing, but we’ll watch it,” he said. “I don’t’ think you turn your head on anything. We’ll just see how it goes.”
- Holtby outduels Lundqvist as Caps take series lead 34
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Capitals 3
- Red Wings’ Devellano calls Mantha ‘very, very, very disappointing’ 57
- End of an era in New Jersey as Shero replaces Lamoriello as GM 26
- Once again, Rick Nash isn’t scoring in the playoffs 25
- Video: U.S. stays unbeaten at Worlds with win over defending champs Russia 9
- Andersen shuts out Flames as Ducks stay perfect in playoffs 6
- Wild can’t contain ‘Hawks star forwards in Game 2 43
- Prust blasts referee Watson after getting tossed from Game 2 29
- Stamkos, power play comes alive as Lightning take 2-0 series lead vs. Habs 29
- Niklas Kronwall suspended for Game 7 vs. Tampa Bay (116)
- Vigneault: ‘Standards have been set’ after Ovechkin, Backstrom hits (103)
- Lightning’s Bishop silences Red Wings in hard fought Game 7 (81)
- ‘You can’t win,’ ex-NHL ref Fraser says of Prust incident (80)
- Babcock won’t discuss future yet, but sees challenges ahead for Wings (78)