Jun 21, 2013, 3:30 PM EDT
Count New Jersey general manager Lou Lamoriello among those not on board with hybrid icing.
“I don’t like the idea that it’s another judgment call [for officials] when we’ve had something exact,” he told Tom Gulitti of NorthJersey.com. “I do know that we all have to look at safety, but I think that our players have learned how to turn and not turn and we can solve the whole problem by taking the trapezoid out and making it a lot easier.
“I just don’t like the idea that it’s another judgment call.”
Hybrid icing — a mixture of touch and no-touch icing that’s reliant on the linesmen’s discretion — will be implemented on a trial basis for the 2013-14 NHL preseason.
During this week’s GM meetings, a decision was made for the NHL and NHLPA to vote at the end of the exhibition campaign to see if they want to implement it for the regular season as well.
“There’s different types of the hybrid icing that have been used in different leagues, so we’re still going to hammer some of those details out,” NHLPA special assistant Mathieu Schneider said. “But essentially it’s meant to eliminate guys going full speed into the end boards.
“If it makes the game safer, it’s a great thing.”
Lamoriello said he and the Devils organization will keep a close eye on the preseason test period.
“The trial basis, I’m not a fan of the hybrid icing, but we’ll watch it,” he said. “I don’t’ think you turn your head on anything. We’ll just see how it goes.”
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 0
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 26
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 13
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)