Darryl Sutter got hernia surgery from a robot

Jun 21, 2013, 8:25 PM EDT

Darryl Sutter AP

Honestly, we don’t really need to add anything more to the title of this post but let’s give it a shot.

Kings coach Darryl Sutter had to undergo double hernia surgery recently and did so via a controversial means using a robot as CBS in Los Angles shares.

What’s the controversial part of it? The fact that surgeons are using a robot, called the da Vinci robotic surgical system, to do intricate operations of course. Sutter says he’s thankful for the procedure.

“I’ll be in full activity back on the ice again,” Sutter said.

Go ahead and tell me you’re not picturing Sutter still-woozy from anesthetics thanking his doctor and robot with snappy one-liners.

Sutter could be back at the rink within a week of the operation. Modern medicine is amazing and will be terrifying once Skynet is self-aware.

Update: If you’re curious how precise the robots are, here’s video of one (thanks to Josh Gold-Smith) peeling a freakin’ grape.

1. esracerx46 - Jun 21, 2013 at 8:31 PM

I’m sorry… I still don’t know why that’s controversial.

2. Kristenaux - Jun 21, 2013 at 8:41 PM

Controversial? Oh please, step into the light. My husband had prostate cancer surgery two years ago with the DaVinci & just 3 weeks ago, he underwent heart bypass surgery with the same machine. Anyone in their right mind would choose this mode of surgery! Virtually no down time & my husband is already back to work this Monday! It is the way of surgery’s future.

3. stakex - Jun 21, 2013 at 10:15 PM

Its “controversial” because we live in a world filled with tin foil hat wearing paranoid morons. Its like people who think vaccines cause autism… despite not even the slightest hint of supporting evidence.

4. blomfeld - Jun 22, 2013 at 2:14 AM

TO HELL WITH SUTTER’S SURGICAL ROBOTS !

What’s made my night tonight and what’s going to be positively ‘hilarious’ is learning that a bunch of ‘Swedish’ robots will now be taking orders from the NHL’s equivalent of “Il Duce” himself … John Robert Tortorella. Don’t know about you guys, but I personally love when things like this happen ! :)

GO CANUCKS GO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. badintent - Jun 22, 2013 at 3:13 AM

Da Vinic machine was invented at the University of Calgary about 3 years ago. It is a techno marvel of the world. It allows surgeons to do much more precise work than they could humanly do in the past for many different operations. Only an idiot like Joe who diss it.At $ 6 million a machine it is not in every hospital yet, but it is coming to a Burger King near you.

6. dropthepuckeh - Jun 22, 2013 at 8:51 AM

A lot research out there that would question the safety or necessity of the da Vinci. Rock Center and Brian Williams just did a big piece on the dangers. Just because its new and well marketed does not make it better than procedures they’ve been doing for decades by hand.

• 1971titan - Jun 25, 2013 at 6:37 PM

I had prostate cancer and I am very thankful for this machine. I went into surgery at 5:30 AM on a Thursday, the next day I was home for lunch with my wife. This was major surgery. The old fashioned open method would have required blood tranfusions, wearing a bag for two weeks, and possible destruction of the all important (to a Man) nerve bundles. The hospital I went to had three machines. If something happens to a machine during surgery, they pull it out and start using one of the others, they have back up power supplies. They are much more precise and accurate than some Dudes hands. Not everyone can fly one of these things, so if you ever need the surgery, make sure your surgeon has done many procedures using the Da Vinci.

7. LoyalFan34yrsGoKings - Jun 22, 2013 at 11:47 AM

Off subject but… Bloomfeld WTF ? What happend to your love for our team? Whatever…

• lesleyvissersfacelift - Jun 22, 2013 at 12:21 PM

Pretty sure he’s mocking the Canucks.

• rednats7 - Jun 22, 2013 at 5:21 PM

Who wouldn’t……

• blomfeld - Jun 22, 2013 at 11:49 PM

Stand Down friend from any concerns !

As an ardent, loyal and values-driven fan of the reigning Stanley Cup champion LA Kings, please know that in my ‘forward’ position here in Vancouver my words are meant to poke fun at the ‘laughable’ chaos which is about to ensue here in this sector … good times ! :)

GO KINGS GO !!! … TODAY, TOMORROW AND FOREVER !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• 1971titan - Jun 25, 2013 at 6:40 PM

Das war sehr gut herr Blomfeld. Danke Schon!

8. sjsharks86 - Jun 22, 2013 at 9:44 PM

I can’t stop thinking about what Sutter must be like on anesthesia, I would PAY to see that.

Top 10 NHL Player Searches
  1. S. Bennett (1294)
  2. N. Niederreiter (1110)
  3. P. Rinne (1108)