Jun 21, 2013, 4:06 PM EDT
The City of Glendale is targeting a July 2 vote to decide on the future of the Phoenix Coyotes.
But whether the NHL, which owns the team, is on board with the city’s timeline isn’t clear.
On Friday, city councilors held a special meeting to discuss the proposed arena-management agreement with prospective Coyotes owner Renaissance Sports and Entertainment. According to Fox Sports Arizona’s Craig Morgan, talks are expected to continue throughout the weekend.
“Nobody’s hanging up on anybody,” said Glendale spokesperson Julie Watters, per Geoff Baker of the Seattle Times.
A July 2 vote may be satisfactory to the NHL, but the league has said it wants a clear indication which way the council is leaning by next week. On Tuesday, the city is scheduled to meet again. On Thursday, the league’s Board of Governors convenes.
“No decision could be a decision,” is how NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly put it prior to Game 1 of the Stanley Cup Final.
Update (5:12 p.m. ET)
Via Morgan, Watters says: “We are continuing our negotiations with the Renaissance group and we expect that early next week we will have some sort of a statement or press release and it will be with the council’s direction for the management of our arena.
“We are also hopeful that in that time, we can discuss everything in more specific detail such as deal points. Our current anticipation is that we will take this to a public vote — for the council to bring for a public vote on Tuesday, July 2.”
May 29, 2015, 8:25 AM EDT
Friday’s collection of links.
May 28, 2015, 11:16 PM EDT
“They need to hear our anthem, that’s a part of losing.”
May 28, 2015, 10:02 PM EDT
Sharp says Blackhawks are ready for “whatever [the Ducks] throw at us.”
May 28, 2015, 8:58 PM EDT
Victor Hedman: “We’re prepared for this.”
May 28, 2015, 7:47 PM EDT
Retirement remains a possibility, and it might be his call.
May 28, 2015, 6:35 PM EDT
Even their first names are similar (Jordan and Jaden). Fun times ahead …
May 28, 2015, 5:30 PM EDT
Sidney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin, specifically.
May 28, 2015, 5:28 PM EDT
“The fact that Mr. Peladeau is a separatist…we know very well whether it’s the owners of the team in Toronto or the owners of the Canadiens, they’re not separatists and they don’t want Quebec to separate.”
May 28, 2015, 4:52 PM EDT
Says that “the expectation is to win right now.”
May 28, 2015, 3:48 PM EDT
Meanwhile, in the West, Corey Crawford has the edge in big-game experience over Frederik Andersen.
May 28, 2015, 3:39 PM EDT
Was set to become a UFA on July 1.
May 28, 2015, 3:26 PM EDT
Bit of a theme developing here…
May 28, 2015, 3:15 PM EDT
Pens to receive third-round pick in 2016 as compensation.
May 28, 2015, 2:21 PM EDT
After scoring 80 points in 56 games for Youngstown.
May 28, 2015, 2:08 PM EDT
Rangers goalie knows he can’t rely on history to defeat the Lightning.
May 28, 2015, 1:04 PM EDT
The former Penguins coach is still under contract to Pittsburgh.
May 28, 2015, 12:27 PM EDT
Former Preds forward, who played for Roy in junior, is currently with KHL club CSKA.
May 28, 2015, 12:22 PM EDT
Has spent the past three seasons coaching the Flyers’ AHL affiliate.
May 28, 2015, 12:05 PM EDT
Spent part of last season with the Bruins
May 28, 2015, 11:49 AM EDT
Which they lost by a score of 6-2.
- Duchene slams Russian players for storming off after Canada’s 2015 WHC win 16
- DeBoer predicts ‘big bounce-back’ in San Jose 11
- Sabres name Bylsma head coach 41
- Lundqvist on Game 7: ‘You’re definitely nervous, but it comes down to teamwork’ 16
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue 56
- Stanley Cup Final to begin June 3 7
- Caps’ Backstrom undergoes arthroscopic hip surgery 6
- Report: Sens’ Murray to retire after next season 1
- Of course: ‘Hawks, Ducks’ back-and-forth series is going to Game 7 49
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 6 1
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue (56)
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ (54)
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL (53)