Jun 21, 2013, 4:06 PM EST
The City of Glendale is targeting a July 2 vote to decide on the future of the Phoenix Coyotes.
But whether the NHL, which owns the team, is on board with the city’s timeline isn’t clear.
On Friday, city councilors held a special meeting to discuss the proposed arena-management agreement with prospective Coyotes owner Renaissance Sports and Entertainment. According to Fox Sports Arizona’s Craig Morgan, talks are expected to continue throughout the weekend.
“Nobody’s hanging up on anybody,” said Glendale spokesperson Julie Watters, per Geoff Baker of the Seattle Times.
A July 2 vote may be satisfactory to the NHL, but the league has said it wants a clear indication which way the council is leaning by next week. On Tuesday, the city is scheduled to meet again. On Thursday, the league’s Board of Governors convenes.
“No decision could be a decision,” is how NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly put it prior to Game 1 of the Stanley Cup Final.
Update (5:12 p.m. ET)
Via Morgan, Watters says: “We are continuing our negotiations with the Renaissance group and we expect that early next week we will have some sort of a statement or press release and it will be with the council’s direction for the management of our arena.
“We are also hopeful that in that time, we can discuss everything in more specific detail such as deal points. Our current anticipation is that we will take this to a public vote — for the council to bring for a public vote on Tuesday, July 2.”
Dec 28, 2014, 1:03 AM EST
Dec 28, 2014, 12:36 AM EST
Meanwhile, the Rangers are playing OK.
Dec 28, 2014, 12:05 AM EST
Battle of California tonight.
Dec 27, 2014, 11:47 PM EST
Some controversy in this game, too.
Dec 27, 2014, 11:02 PM EST
Same old, same old.
Dec 27, 2014, 10:48 PM EST
Holy puck possession!
Dec 27, 2014, 10:27 PM EST
Physical game between these teams.
Dec 27, 2014, 9:46 PM EST
These teams, as we all know, don’t care for each other.
Dec 27, 2014, 9:32 PM EST
Dec 27, 2014, 8:48 PM EST
This had been brewing for some time.
Dec 27, 2014, 8:27 PM EST
No call on the play.
Dec 27, 2014, 8:05 PM EST
Injury occurred on a clean hit along the boards.
Dec 27, 2014, 7:28 PM EST
Interesting times for the Devils.
Dec 27, 2014, 7:00 PM EST
Starting to tighten up in the Eastern Conference standings.
Dec 27, 2014, 6:26 PM EST
Minnesota has recalled John Curry.
Dec 27, 2014, 6:02 PM EST
Was fired three games into the 2013-14 season.
Dec 27, 2014, 5:24 PM EST
St. Louis will host the Dallas Stars.
Dec 27, 2014, 4:46 PM EST
Will that last?
Dec 27, 2014, 4:15 PM EST
He’s been dealing with a back injury.
Dec 27, 2014, 3:27 PM EST
There was plenty of controversy surrounding the single-punch incident on Nov. 21.
- ‘We can build on this': Devils lose with Lou Lamoriello behind the bench 0
- Video: Nyquist scores OT winner on incredible individual effort 3
- Video: Ovechkin crushes Letang, Capitals cruise by the Penguins 4
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap 52
- Video: NHL on NBC panel breaks down the coaching situation in New Jersey 2
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 37
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 2
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 14
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 10
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap (53)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)