Jun 21, 2013, 4:06 PM EDT
The City of Glendale is targeting a July 2 vote to decide on the future of the Phoenix Coyotes.
But whether the NHL, which owns the team, is on board with the city’s timeline isn’t clear.
On Friday, city councilors held a special meeting to discuss the proposed arena-management agreement with prospective Coyotes owner Renaissance Sports and Entertainment. According to Fox Sports Arizona’s Craig Morgan, talks are expected to continue throughout the weekend.
“Nobody’s hanging up on anybody,” said Glendale spokesperson Julie Watters, per Geoff Baker of the Seattle Times.
A July 2 vote may be satisfactory to the NHL, but the league has said it wants a clear indication which way the council is leaning by next week. On Tuesday, the city is scheduled to meet again. On Thursday, the league’s Board of Governors convenes.
“No decision could be a decision,” is how NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly put it prior to Game 1 of the Stanley Cup Final.
Update (5:12 p.m. ET)
Via Morgan, Watters says: “We are continuing our negotiations with the Renaissance group and we expect that early next week we will have some sort of a statement or press release and it will be with the council’s direction for the management of our arena.
“We are also hopeful that in that time, we can discuss everything in more specific detail such as deal points. Our current anticipation is that we will take this to a public vote — for the council to bring for a public vote on Tuesday, July 2.”
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 0
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry 7
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 31
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 43
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)