Jun 21, 2013, 4:59 PM EDT
Sounds as though there’ll soon be a winner in the Jonathan Bernier sweepstakes.
According to RDS’ Renaud Lavoie, only three teams remain in the running for the Los Angeles goalie — Toronto, Philadelphia and Minnesota — and that the Kings are prepared to take the best offer put forth by one of the three clubs.
Toronto’s interest in Bernier has been rumored for quite some time.
GM Dave Nonis has refrained from speaking specifically about replacing incumbent starter James Reimer, but has said on numerous occasions he would look to upgrade any position — including goaltending – if the opportunity presented itself.
(Remember the whole Luongo-at-the-deadline fiasco?)
The Flyers’ offer would seemingly be contingent upon buying out Ilya Bryzgalov, then pairing Bernier with Steve Mason, who was acquired from Columbus last season and quickly signed to a contract extension.
Then there’s the situation in Minnesota, which is quite intriguing.
Earlier this week, owner Craig Leipold gave a less-than-ringing endorsement of Niklas Backstrom, saying “we are not uncomfortable” with bringing the 36-year-old Finn back to be the Wild’s No. 1 netminder for 2013-14.
Backstrom’s four-year, $24 million deal expires in July and he’d have to take a serious pay cut to stick in Minnesota.
The Wild don’t have a ton of cap space, so the possibility of getting a starting goalie on the cheap (Bernier is a pending RFA, and made just $1.25 million last season) would be tantalizing.
Mar 11, 2014, 2:26 AM EDT
It was mostly a night of disappointments
Mar 11, 2014, 1:15 AM EDT
“We need to be men.”
Mar 11, 2014, 12:39 AM EDT
It just keeps getting worse.
Mar 11, 2014, 12:29 AM EDT
It’s an MCL injury, according to Patrick Roy.
Mar 10, 2014, 11:29 PM EDT
It’s also his first point since Jan. 10.
Mar 10, 2014, 10:14 PM EDT
At least they have Ales Hemsky.
Mar 10, 2014, 9:57 PM EDT
The Stars say he’ll undergo extensive testing.
Mar 10, 2014, 9:44 PM EDT
Washington carried much of the play.
Mar 10, 2014, 9:29 PM EDT
Both teams have games on Tuesday.
Mar 10, 2014, 9:08 PM EDT
Lindy Ruff says he’s OK.
Mar 10, 2014, 8:09 PM EDT
Mar 10, 2014, 7:55 PM EDT
He was last seen at practice in Saginaw, Mich.
Mar 10, 2014, 6:38 PM EDT
Nathan MacKinnon slides into his center spot vs. Winnipeg.
Mar 10, 2014, 5:26 PM EDT
Canucks GM pens letter to ticket holders.
Mar 10, 2014, 5:14 PM EDT
Click for a video explanation.
Mar 10, 2014, 4:33 PM EDT
All the latest from the blue paint…
Mar 10, 2014, 4:14 PM EDT
Dallas seems to be a good fit for the 22-year-old former Bruin.
Mar 10, 2014, 4:00 PM EDT
“We have to keep scoring goals. We have to keep playing this way,” said Adam Henrique.
Mar 10, 2014, 2:56 PM EDT
He meant he doesn’t want to be traded.
Mar 10, 2014, 2:37 PM EDT
Fire up the comments section!
- Tortorella calls meltdown ‘a kick in the teeth’ 4
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 11
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 13
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 7
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 22
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 35
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 38
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 54
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 42
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (70)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)