Jun 20, 2013, 12:44 AM EST
BOSTON — Coming into tonight’s Game 4, one of the biggest stories was Boston’s tight defense and stellar goaltending. Watching Chicago take them down 6-5 in overtime made for quite the turn of events.
So, what happened? As you might expect, mistakes played a big role.
“We just made it too tough on ourselves,” goaltender Tuukka Rask said. “They got a lot of shots through and a lot of second opportunities. You allow six goals as a goalie you can’t be satisfied with the fact it wasn’t our best defensive effort.”
“They just got shots through. I didn’t make saves or we didn’t block shots and they got those rebounds. It makes a difference.”
Captain Zdeno Chara kept his assessment brief.
“I thought they did a better job than we did [of crashing the net],” he said. “Net-front presence was something I thought we could do better. We didn’t manage the puck as well as we could’ve.”
Chara finished the night a minus-3 and was on the ice for five goals against.
Fellow B’s defenseman Johnny Boychuk says the team’s task heading into Game 5 and for the remainder series is simple.
“We have to clean up our own end and not make turnovers and play our own kind of game,” he said.
Is there anything positive to take from a frustrating loss like this?
“We did battle back and it was a two-goal deficit and we found a way to come back. We probably shouldn’t have been in that position anyways.”
Coach Claude Julien wasn’t going to evaluate his team publicly, but looking ahead he knows his team can improve.
“I think we can be a lot better,” he said. “We have an opportunity to be better next game.
“Hopefully, if anything, that makes us even hungrier for the next game.”
- Lawyer: Ribeiro to ‘vigorously fight’ $1M lawsuit alleging abuse of ex-nanny (Updated) 10
- In praise of the Hamburglar 14
- Leafs’ Panik latest to be fined for diving 8
- Connor McDavid is just on fire right now 20
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 31
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 5
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 7
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 14
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 23
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 54