Jun 20, 2013, 8:17 PM EDT
The numbers are in, and the Stanley Cup Final continues to draw record television audiences.
According to a statement released by the NBC Sports Group, this year’s final between the Boston Bruins and Chicago Blackhawks has drawn an average of 5.356 million viewers per game, “making it the most-watched Final through four games on record (data available since 1994), according to The Nielsen Company.”
The series between the Original Six teams is tied at two-games apiece, as it shifts back to Chicago for Game 5 on Saturday.
On Wednesday, the Blackhawks evened the series with an exciting 6-5 overtime win in Boston.
It was the third game of the final to reach overtime, and the theater provided in an 11-goal game was certainly enough to entice more viewers.
Wednesday’s Game 4 peaked with an audience of 8.192 million viewers, according to NBC Sports. The average audience was 6.459 million on NBC. That’s up 120 per cent from the same game between the L.A. Kings and New Jersey Devils in the 2012 final.
The TV ratings have continued to grow in this series.
Game 3 of this series broke the NBCSN ratings record set in the second game.
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 1
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 7
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 32
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)