Jun 20, 2013, 8:17 PM EDT
The numbers are in, and the Stanley Cup Final continues to draw record television audiences.
According to a statement released by the NBC Sports Group, this year’s final between the Boston Bruins and Chicago Blackhawks has drawn an average of 5.356 million viewers per game, “making it the most-watched Final through four games on record (data available since 1994), according to The Nielsen Company.”
The series between the Original Six teams is tied at two-games apiece, as it shifts back to Chicago for Game 5 on Saturday.
On Wednesday, the Blackhawks evened the series with an exciting 6-5 overtime win in Boston.
It was the third game of the final to reach overtime, and the theater provided in an 11-goal game was certainly enough to entice more viewers.
Wednesday’s Game 4 peaked with an audience of 8.192 million viewers, according to NBC Sports. The average audience was 6.459 million on NBC. That’s up 120 per cent from the same game between the L.A. Kings and New Jersey Devils in the 2012 final.
The TV ratings have continued to grow in this series.
Game 3 of this series broke the NBCSN ratings record set in the second game.
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 19
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 30
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 26
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting (44)