Jun 20, 2013, 8:17 PM EDT
The numbers are in, and the Stanley Cup Final continues to draw record television audiences.
According to a statement released by the NBC Sports Group, this year’s final between the Boston Bruins and Chicago Blackhawks has drawn an average of 5.356 million viewers per game, “making it the most-watched Final through four games on record (data available since 1994), according to The Nielsen Company.”
The series between the Original Six teams is tied at two-games apiece, as it shifts back to Chicago for Game 5 on Saturday.
On Wednesday, the Blackhawks evened the series with an exciting 6-5 overtime win in Boston.
It was the third game of the final to reach overtime, and the theater provided in an 11-goal game was certainly enough to entice more viewers.
Wednesday’s Game 4 peaked with an audience of 8.192 million viewers, according to NBC Sports. The average audience was 6.459 million on NBC. That’s up 120 per cent from the same game between the L.A. Kings and New Jersey Devils in the 2012 final.
The TV ratings have continued to grow in this series.
Game 3 of this series broke the NBCSN ratings record set in the second game.
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 4
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 11
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 62
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 33
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 31
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (62)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Arena deal in jeopardy? Glendale mayor requests investigation into ‘clear violation’ of state law (42)
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal (42)