Jun 20, 2013, 8:17 PM EST
The numbers are in, and the Stanley Cup Final continues to draw record television audiences.
According to a statement released by the NBC Sports Group, this year’s final between the Boston Bruins and Chicago Blackhawks has drawn an average of 5.356 million viewers per game, “making it the most-watched Final through four games on record (data available since 1994), according to The Nielsen Company.”
The series between the Original Six teams is tied at two-games apiece, as it shifts back to Chicago for Game 5 on Saturday.
On Wednesday, the Blackhawks evened the series with an exciting 6-5 overtime win in Boston.
It was the third game of the final to reach overtime, and the theater provided in an 11-goal game was certainly enough to entice more viewers.
Wednesday’s Game 4 peaked with an audience of 8.192 million viewers, according to NBC Sports. The average audience was 6.459 million on NBC. That’s up 120 per cent from the same game between the L.A. Kings and New Jersey Devils in the 2012 final.
The TV ratings have continued to grow in this series.
Game 3 of this series broke the NBCSN ratings record set in the second game.
- Eichel earns assist and scores in shootout as U.S. squeaks by Finland 1
- Canada enters World Juniors as 11/10 favorite; USA next at 9/4 0
- Devils fire DeBoer 17
- More mumps: Downie and Greiss test positive 3
- Orpik reflects on ‘outside pressure’ in Pittsburgh 16
- Canada tabs Fucale for WJC opener 0
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 10
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)