Jun 20, 2013, 11:54 AM EDT
San Jose agreed to terms with forward Raffi Torres on a three-year contract extension, the club announced on Thursday.
“We are very excited to bring Raffi back to the San Jose Sharks,” said GM Doug Wilson Wilson. “He competes hard in all three zones and brought a lot of ingredients to our line-up last season.
“We think he is a great fit for our club moving forward.”
According to ESPN’s Pierre LeBrun, the deal is worth $6 million, carrying an average annual cap hit of $2 million, a nice bump from his two-year, $3.5 million deal that was set to expire on July 5.
Torres, 31, was acquired by San Jose at the trade deadline and proceeded to appear in 11 regular season games, scoring six points while racking up 38 hits.
In the playoffs, Torres had an effective first round against Vancouver, scoring the winning OT tally in Game 2 while registering 18 hits.
But then — as it often does with Torres — controversy struck.
He was suspended for the duration of the Western Conference semifinals against Los Angeles after hitting Kings forward Jarret Stoll in the head.
The Sharks jumped to Torres defense following the suspension announcement, calling the decision “grossly unfair.” That earned the organization a stiff $100,000 fine, though the actions taken by Wilson seemed to have an effect on Torres, who said he wanted to return to San Jose following its Game 7 loss to the Kings.
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year 3
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 22
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 48
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 2
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 60
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off 52
- Report: Leafs sign Franson to one year, $3.3 million deal 8
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M 58
- Report: Blue Jackets, Johansen make ‘significant progress’ toward deal 5
- Red Wings unveil plans for new arena, look to open in 2017 57
- Kane, Toews could’ve commanded $13.8M cap hits, says agent (83)
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (60)
- Report: Zuccarello wants $4.5M per on new deal, Brassard eyeing $5.5M (58)