Jun 20, 2013, 11:54 AM EDT
San Jose agreed to terms with forward Raffi Torres on a three-year contract extension, the club announced on Thursday.
“We are very excited to bring Raffi back to the San Jose Sharks,” said GM Doug Wilson Wilson. “He competes hard in all three zones and brought a lot of ingredients to our line-up last season.
“We think he is a great fit for our club moving forward.”
According to ESPN’s Pierre LeBrun, the deal is worth $6 million, carrying an average annual cap hit of $2 million, a nice bump from his two-year, $3.5 million deal that was set to expire on July 5.
Torres, 31, was acquired by San Jose at the trade deadline and proceeded to appear in 11 regular season games, scoring six points while racking up 38 hits.
In the playoffs, Torres had an effective first round against Vancouver, scoring the winning OT tally in Game 2 while registering 18 hits.
But then — as it often does with Torres — controversy struck.
He was suspended for the duration of the Western Conference semifinals against Los Angeles after hitting Kings forward Jarret Stoll in the head.
The Sharks jumped to Torres defense following the suspension announcement, calling the decision “grossly unfair.” That earned the organization a stiff $100,000 fine, though the actions taken by Wilson seemed to have an effect on Torres, who said he wanted to return to San Jose following its Game 7 loss to the Kings.
- Subban: Contract in arbitrator’s hands now 17
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 23
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 64
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 9
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 32
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 47
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (64)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Poll: Is Drew Doughty the best defenseman in the world? (58)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (47)