Jun 20, 2013, 10:15 PM EST
The Colorado Avalanche will pick one of the three highly touted forwards at the NHL Entry Draft later this month, something executive vice-president of hockey operations Joe Sakic confirmed with ESPN.com on Thursday.
This would mean that the Avalanche would decline the storybook selection of defenseman Seth Jones, who has connections to the Denver area.
“He’s a great player, he’s going to be good,” Sakic told ESPN.com about Jones and the draft process of his hockey club.
“But after we had our internal meetings we came up with these three forwards, (Nathan) McKinnon, (Jonathan) Drouin and (Alexander) Barkov. We’re really leaning towards one of those three forwards.”
Earlier this week, Sakic told the Denver Post essentially the same thing. Then again, his comments would make it seem like the Avalanche are open to the idea of a trade.
“If we do pick first, we’re leaning more toward one of those three forwards,” Sakic told the Denver Post.
Last month, after a dominating performance at the Memorial Cup, forward Nathan MacKinnon of the Halifax Mooseheads moved to the No. 1 spot of the International Scouting Services draft rankings.
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder 65
- Trade: Capitals land Glencross, Flames get two picks 23
- Flames place Giordano on IR 5
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 28
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 74
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 1
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 5
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 7
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (149)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)