Jun 20, 2013, 10:15 PM EDT
The Colorado Avalanche will pick one of the three highly touted forwards at the NHL Entry Draft later this month, something executive vice-president of hockey operations Joe Sakic confirmed with ESPN.com on Thursday.
This would mean that the Avalanche would decline the storybook selection of defenseman Seth Jones, who has connections to the Denver area.
“He’s a great player, he’s going to be good,” Sakic told ESPN.com about Jones and the draft process of his hockey club.
“But after we had our internal meetings we came up with these three forwards, (Nathan) McKinnon, (Jonathan) Drouin and (Alexander) Barkov. We’re really leaning towards one of those three forwards.”
Earlier this week, Sakic told the Denver Post essentially the same thing. Then again, his comments would make it seem like the Avalanche are open to the idea of a trade.
“If we do pick first, we’re leaning more toward one of those three forwards,” Sakic told the Denver Post.
Last month, after a dominating performance at the Memorial Cup, forward Nathan MacKinnon of the Halifax Mooseheads moved to the No. 1 spot of the International Scouting Services draft rankings.
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 46
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 8
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 25
- Vermette, Teravainen return for Blackhawks in Game 4 15
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 24
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 53
- All eyes on Lundqvist 11
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)