Jun 20, 2013, 10:53 AM EST
It remains to be seen if the New York Rangers will use one of their compliance buyouts on Brad Richards, but the possibility has been raised ever since his disappointing playoff run that ended with him serving as a healthy scratch.
If the Rangers do buy out the final seven seasons on Richards’ nine-year, $60 million contract, he’ll likely to find a number of suitors. Among the interested parties would “absolutely” be the Philadelphia Flyers, according to a Philadelphia Inquirer source.
Of course, the big sticking point would likely be money. Even if he’s bought out, Richard is likely to get paid handsomely by his new team. After all, he has 100 points in 128 regular season games with the Rangers, so he hasn’t exactly collapsed.
In fact, if the Rangers buy him out, it will likely have less to do with his $6,666,667 annual cap hit — which is skewed downwards because it’s a frontloaded deal — and more about the fear of paying the 33-year-old forward well past his prime.
So the Flyers would likely have to give him a good contract if they really want him and given that they’re expected to buy out Briere because of their difficult cap position, that’s easier said than done. Still, Flyers GM Paul Holmgren certainly hasn’t shied away from making bold moves, so you never know.
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 5
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 4
- Breaking: Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 21
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 17
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)