Jun 20, 2013, 10:53 AM EDT
It remains to be seen if the New York Rangers will use one of their compliance buyouts on Brad Richards, but the possibility has been raised ever since his disappointing playoff run that ended with him serving as a healthy scratch.
If the Rangers do buy out the final seven seasons on Richards’ nine-year, $60 million contract, he’ll likely to find a number of suitors. Among the interested parties would “absolutely” be the Philadelphia Flyers, according to a Philadelphia Inquirer source.
Of course, the big sticking point would likely be money. Even if he’s bought out, Richard is likely to get paid handsomely by his new team. After all, he has 100 points in 128 regular season games with the Rangers, so he hasn’t exactly collapsed.
In fact, if the Rangers buy him out, it will likely have less to do with his $6,666,667 annual cap hit — which is skewed downwards because it’s a frontloaded deal — and more about the fear of paying the 33-year-old forward well past his prime.
So the Flyers would likely have to give him a good contract if they really want him and given that they’re expected to buy out Briere because of their difficult cap position, that’s easier said than done. Still, Flyers GM Paul Holmgren certainly hasn’t shied away from making bold moves, so you never know.
- Kucherov isn’t going to ‘cry’ about Kronwall hit 12
- Nothing but Kuznetsov: Caps best Isles in Game 7 18
- Not done yet: Lightning earn Game 7 against Red Wings 7
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 28
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 16
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 78
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 8
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 52
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 13
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (99)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)