Jun 20, 2013, 10:53 AM EST
It remains to be seen if the New York Rangers will use one of their compliance buyouts on Brad Richards, but the possibility has been raised ever since his disappointing playoff run that ended with him serving as a healthy scratch.
If the Rangers do buy out the final seven seasons on Richards’ nine-year, $60 million contract, he’ll likely to find a number of suitors. Among the interested parties would “absolutely” be the Philadelphia Flyers, according to a Philadelphia Inquirer source.
Of course, the big sticking point would likely be money. Even if he’s bought out, Richard is likely to get paid handsomely by his new team. After all, he has 100 points in 128 regular season games with the Rangers, so he hasn’t exactly collapsed.
In fact, if the Rangers buy him out, it will likely have less to do with his $6,666,667 annual cap hit — which is skewed downwards because it’s a frontloaded deal — and more about the fear of paying the 33-year-old forward well past his prime.
So the Flyers would likely have to give him a good contract if they really want him and given that they’re expected to buy out Briere because of their difficult cap position, that’s easier said than done. Still, Flyers GM Paul Holmgren certainly hasn’t shied away from making bold moves, so you never know.
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 22
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Fowler after Ducks’ win vs. Sharks: ‘We never give up’ 1
- Daly: Fehr’s lockout prediction ‘naive and uneducated’ 23
- Pens send Downie, Sutter, Greiss home for mumps test (Updated) 13
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (65)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Who are the Bruins targeting in trade talks? (47)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (42)