Jun 20, 2013, 9:51 AM EDT
Retired Hall of Fame forward Mark Messier has been serving as Rangers GM Glen Sather’s special assistant for years, but when head coach John Tortorella was fired, Messier was hoping to take his place.
That didn’t happen and the job will instead go to former Vancouver Canucks bench boss Alain Vigneault. The question now is what will Messier’s next step be.
“I don’t really know what Mark is going to do,” Sather told the New York Post. “He was very disappointed when I called to tell him that we were going to hire Alain.
“He said he wanted to take a few days and would call me, but we haven’t spoken since.”
It’s not surprising that the Rangers ultimately went with Vigneault instead of Messier. As great of a player as he was and as much as he’s done for the franchise, Messier doesn’t have much in the way of coaching experience. That’s critical because, as we’ve seen before, success on the ice doesn’t always translate to success behind the bench.
Perhaps he’ll put himself in a position where he starts to get more coaching experience in the hopes of someday becoming an NHL head coach or maybe he’ll continue in his existing role and eventually become an NHL general manager. Time will tell.
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 9
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 12
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 11
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 24
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 74
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 28
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)