Jun 20, 2013, 9:51 AM EDT
Retired Hall of Fame forward Mark Messier has been serving as Rangers GM Glen Sather’s special assistant for years, but when head coach John Tortorella was fired, Messier was hoping to take his place.
That didn’t happen and the job will instead go to former Vancouver Canucks bench boss Alain Vigneault. The question now is what will Messier’s next step be.
“I don’t really know what Mark is going to do,” Sather told the New York Post. “He was very disappointed when I called to tell him that we were going to hire Alain.
“He said he wanted to take a few days and would call me, but we haven’t spoken since.”
It’s not surprising that the Rangers ultimately went with Vigneault instead of Messier. As great of a player as he was and as much as he’s done for the franchise, Messier doesn’t have much in the way of coaching experience. That’s critical because, as we’ve seen before, success on the ice doesn’t always translate to success behind the bench.
Perhaps he’ll put himself in a position where he starts to get more coaching experience in the hopes of someday becoming an NHL head coach or maybe he’ll continue in his existing role and eventually become an NHL general manager. Time will tell.
- Devils ink Schneider to reported seven-year, $42 million deal 51
- Big money: Toews, Kane sign eight-year, $84 million extensions 168
- Jets can’t let Kane situation fester much longer 54
- Report: Sidney Crosby will undergo wrist surgery 59
- Kane: ‘I’m a Winnipeg Jet right now… we’ll see what happens’ 51
- McDavid, Eichel top Central Scouting Futures list 14
- Columnist: Mike Green is ‘destined to be traded’ by Caps 40
- Spezza: ‘I’m just a piece to the puzzle’ in Dallas 32
- Ovechkin ‘upset’ at Grabovski departure, happy with defensive signings 18
- Washington Capitals were free agency’s biggest spenders 15
- Big money: Toews, Kane sign eight-year, $84 million extensions (168)
- Pros and cons of Subban filing for arbitration (67)
- Giroux apologizes, calls actions a ‘misguided attempt at humor’ (64)
- Boyle wanted Big Apple after playing in ‘nontraditional hockey markets’ of Florida, California (63)
- Report: Sidney Crosby will undergo wrist surgery (59)