Jun 20, 2013, 5:07 PM EDT
In news that isn’t really news but sort of is because circumstances made it so, Corey Crawford will start in goal for Chicago in Game 5 of the Stanley Cup Final.
This narrative comes after Crawford allowed five goals — and got his glove hand exposed — during Wednesday’s overtime win against the Bruins.
Crawford was a major topic in the postgame presser, which included ‘Hawks head coach Joel Quennevile being asked if he was concerned about Crawford’s glove (Coach Q said he wasn’t.)
Today, the questions went a step further as Quenneville was asked if he’d consider starting Ray Emery on Saturday.
Here’s how that went…
QUESTION: Joel, I’ll get this one out of the way early. You’ve got a backup goalie who set a wins record, I believe, this year, he’s played in the Final, he’s got a lot of experience. Given where the goals seemed to be going in on Corey, do you even consider at this point making a change at all?
COACH QUENNEVILLE: No, not at all. No, we’re very comfortable with Corey. Corey has been rock solid all year for us, and when he’s got the ball, he’s been outstanding, and he’s the biggest reason why we’re here today.
Emery did have an outstanding season — 17-1-0 record, .922 save percentage, 1.94 GAA — and Quenneville said in the past he wouldn’t be against using two goalies in the playoffs.
But in Game 5 of the Stanley Cup Final? After Crawford played every minute of every playoff game? And with Emery not having suited up since Apr. 24?
As for Crawford, he said he won’t start thinking about his glove being an issue, but did acknowledge the Bruins are targeting it.
“Well, 99 percent of the shots are going glove side, I don’t know what you would say,” he explained. “I can’t start thinking about that, that’s when you get in trouble when you start thinking everything is going to go glove.
“I’m just going to play the way I’ve been playing and stick with that.”
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 15
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 4
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 25
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 26
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 23
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 20
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 20
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 10
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 32
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)