Jun 20, 2013, 1:46 PM EST
Based on what Canadiens general manager Marc Bergevin said today, don’t expect Montreal to be handing out ridiculous contracts to unrestricted free agents this summer.
“History shows that free agency isn’t the best tool,” he said, per TSN. “Free agency to me is a tool, but it’s not a way to make your team a top team. It’s overplayed. You have to be careful.”
Scott Gomez, who the Habs bought out in January, is a good reminder of that.
- Preds’ Neal fined for diving 6
- After surprising start, Flames sign Hartley to multi-year contract extension 3
- Update your wallcharts: Rangers confirm Brassard has mumps 9
- Video: Coyotes defeat Oilers with 0.3 seconds remaining in OT 3
- It’s ‘unlikely’ Duncan Keith has the mumps, says Blackhawks coach 3
- Bjugstad scores the winner as Panthers, Capitals make history with 20-round shootout 20
- Yep, Beau Bennett has the mumps 24
- (Video) PHT Extra: Would the Oilers really trade Taylor Hall? 11
- Russia’s economic crisis causing big trouble for KHL 56
- Eakins calls for patience in Edmonton, whether fans ‘like it or not’ 15