Jun 20, 2013, 1:46 PM EDT
Based on what Canadiens general manager Marc Bergevin said today, don’t expect Montreal to be handing out ridiculous contracts to unrestricted free agents this summer.
“History shows that free agency isn’t the best tool,” he said, per TSN. “Free agency to me is a tool, but it’s not a way to make your team a top team. It’s overplayed. You have to be careful.”
Scott Gomez, who the Habs bought out in January, is a good reminder of that.
- Blue Jackets GM to Johansen: It’s about the team, not ‘one guy’ 16
- Will the NHL publicize divers? 46
- Report: NHL, Epix network to partner on Winter Classic reality series 16
- Habs to play without captain for just second time in franchise history 16
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman 44
- Devils post-Martin Brodeur era about to truly start 9
- Report: Rangers expected to announce captain on Thursday 12
- Snider: Flyers not hiding behind ‘horrible mistake’ of signing Bryzgalov 21
- P.K. Subban: ‘I’m not trying to change the game of hockey’ 24
- Demand for Canucks tickets plummeting according to broker 39