Jun 20, 2013, 1:46 PM EDT
Based on what Canadiens general manager Marc Bergevin said today, don’t expect Montreal to be handing out ridiculous contracts to unrestricted free agents this summer.
“History shows that free agency isn’t the best tool,” he said, per TSN. “Free agency to me is a tool, but it’s not a way to make your team a top team. It’s overplayed. You have to be careful.”
Scott Gomez, who the Habs bought out in January, is a good reminder of that.
- How bad are things for the Kings after Monday? 4
- Lightning clinch playoff berth, but did they lose Hedman? 6
- Blackhawks tease good injury news for Kane 7
- Tough times in Tampa: Garrison out 3-4 weeks after ‘pretty dirty’ Abdelkader hit 22
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- NHL on NBCSN: Stakes high for Kings, ‘Hawks tonight 21
- Blackhawks’ Sharp: ‘We knew we had to get two points’ 12
- Video: Brian Engblom takes a puck to the head 13
- Flames jump back into third in Pacific, beat Preds 6
- Letang concussed, Penguins will dress five defensemen 18