Jun 20, 2013, 9:03 AM EST
When Gagne last played in Philadelphia back in 2009-10, he was a top-tier forward. Those days are likely behind the 33-year-old, but he still recorded five goals and 11 points in 27 games in his latest stint with the club.
Gagne is hoping he was good enough to convince the Flyers to re-sign him as an unrestricted free agent and it sounds like he might have been.
“I had two really good meetings, with both ‘Lavy’ [coach Peter Laviolette] and ‘Homer’ [GM Paul Holmgren] after the season ended,” Gagne told the Philadelphia Daily News. “They thought that I did a lot of good things toward the end of the season and liked what I brought to the team.”
On the off-chance you haven’t heard yet, Philadelphia also has what Gagne termed as “some money issues.” In other words, the Flyers are struggling to get under the cap ceiling and have reportedly already committed to using a compliance buyout on Daniel Briere. Goaltender Ilya Bryzgalov might suffer a similar fate.
Still, it’s Gagne’s understanding that the Flyers will contact his agent before the June 30 NHL Entry Draft. He’s coming off of a two-year, $7 million deal, but it sounds like he’ll be flexible with his financial demands.
“I’m at the point of my career where I made really good money for a while,” Gagne said in April. “At the end of the day, money is just a small question. Being happy is important. If I like the place, I’ll make things work – for everyone to be happy, to make sure it doesn’t hurt the team.”
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 0
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 0
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 5
- WATCH LIVE: NHL All-Star Skills Competition 0
- Will the Youngstars even have a chance? (Updated) 9
- Unique World Cup format allows ‘more of the very best players’ to participate 6
- NHL unveils 2016 Winter Classic, Stadium Series games 15
- Players have fun, show off personalities in water-fueled All-Star Fantasy Draft 9
- Video: ‘Coachable’ Kessel goes from last pick to 2nd overall 5
- Video: Team Foligno takes Ryan Johansen first overall in All-Star Fantasy Draft 1
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Metro sensational: Rangers continue dominance of division, Pens (61)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)