Jun 20, 2013, 6:45 PM EDT
Thursday was an emotional day for Danny Briere.
The Philadelphia Flyers organization has made it clear that it will use one of its compliance buyouts on Briere, who was in the midst of an eight-year, $52 million contract.
Briere, who scored six goals and had 16 points in 34 regular season games this year, later responded the club’s decision.
“This is my home,” Briere said, as per CSN Philadelphia. “Wherever I’m going to end up, the kids are staying here, and I’m coming back here. Yeah, this is my home. This is what we consider home now.”
Briere, 35, will soon be made an unrestricted free agent, which poses a number of different options and opportunities for him to ponder.
“There’s a lot of things that we will have to consider,” he said.
“Obviously, the kids [are] an issue. We’ll have to consider also if it’s a team that has a chance to win a Stanley Cup or not, a team that might have a role for me or not. Those are all questions that at this point I don’t really know, and I don’t know which one’s going to take over.”
Early indication is that he’ll have plenty of interest from other NHL clubs.
According to TSN hockey insider Darren Dreger, 15 or more teams are believed to have interest in Briere once he becomes a UFA.
- Five big games to watch this weekend 1
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 28
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 28
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 34
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 32
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 14
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 51
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 20
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 16
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (51)