Jun 20, 2013, 6:45 PM EST
Thursday was an emotional day for Danny Briere.
The Philadelphia Flyers organization has made it clear that it will use one of its compliance buyouts on Briere, who was in the midst of an eight-year, $52 million contract.
Briere, who scored six goals and had 16 points in 34 regular season games this year, later responded the club’s decision.
“This is my home,” Briere said, as per CSN Philadelphia. “Wherever I’m going to end up, the kids are staying here, and I’m coming back here. Yeah, this is my home. This is what we consider home now.”
Briere, 35, will soon be made an unrestricted free agent, which poses a number of different options and opportunities for him to ponder.
“There’s a lot of things that we will have to consider,” he said.
“Obviously, the kids [are] an issue. We’ll have to consider also if it’s a team that has a chance to win a Stanley Cup or not, a team that might have a role for me or not. Those are all questions that at this point I don’t really know, and I don’t know which one’s going to take over.”
Early indication is that he’ll have plenty of interest from other NHL clubs.
According to TSN hockey insider Darren Dreger, 15 or more teams are believed to have interest in Briere once he becomes a UFA.
- Game on: Islanders-Rangers to be played despite storm 3
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 50
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 123
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 24
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 17
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 33
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 27
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 7
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (123)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)