Jun 20, 2013, 6:45 PM EDT
Thursday was an emotional day for Danny Briere.
The Philadelphia Flyers organization has made it clear that it will use one of its compliance buyouts on Briere, who was in the midst of an eight-year, $52 million contract.
Briere, who scored six goals and had 16 points in 34 regular season games this year, later responded the club’s decision.
“This is my home,” Briere said, as per CSN Philadelphia. “Wherever I’m going to end up, the kids are staying here, and I’m coming back here. Yeah, this is my home. This is what we consider home now.”
Briere, 35, will soon be made an unrestricted free agent, which poses a number of different options and opportunities for him to ponder.
“There’s a lot of things that we will have to consider,” he said.
“Obviously, the kids [are] an issue. We’ll have to consider also if it’s a team that has a chance to win a Stanley Cup or not, a team that might have a role for me or not. Those are all questions that at this point I don’t really know, and I don’t know which one’s going to take over.”
Early indication is that he’ll have plenty of interest from other NHL clubs.
According to TSN hockey insider Darren Dreger, 15 or more teams are believed to have interest in Briere once he becomes a UFA.
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 14
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 50
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 38
- Lundqvist shuts out Red Wings to claim 300th victory 11
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 10
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 19
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 23
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 11
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 12
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (67)