Jun 20, 2013, 6:45 PM EDT
Thursday was an emotional day for Danny Briere.
The Philadelphia Flyers organization has made it clear that it will use one of its compliance buyouts on Briere, who was in the midst of an eight-year, $52 million contract.
Briere, who scored six goals and had 16 points in 34 regular season games this year, later responded the club’s decision.
“This is my home,” Briere said, as per CSN Philadelphia. “Wherever I’m going to end up, the kids are staying here, and I’m coming back here. Yeah, this is my home. This is what we consider home now.”
Briere, 35, will soon be made an unrestricted free agent, which poses a number of different options and opportunities for him to ponder.
“There’s a lot of things that we will have to consider,” he said.
“Obviously, the kids [are] an issue. We’ll have to consider also if it’s a team that has a chance to win a Stanley Cup or not, a team that might have a role for me or not. Those are all questions that at this point I don’t really know, and I don’t know which one’s going to take over.”
Early indication is that he’ll have plenty of interest from other NHL clubs.
According to TSN hockey insider Darren Dreger, 15 or more teams are believed to have interest in Briere once he becomes a UFA.
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 7
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 6
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 17
- It’s Detroit Red Wings day on PHT 24
- Under Pressure: Nathan Horton 8
- Will Johansen be the latest Overhardt holdout? 25
- It’s Columbus Blue Jackets day on PHT 16
- Shanahan tasked with ending years of collapses 9
- Looking to make the leap: Peter Holland 1
- Under Pressure: Randy Carlyle 5
- NHL-to-Vegas talks gaining steam (68)
- Report: Bruins need to make a trade (61)
- Sounds like San Jose handled stripping Thornton’s captaincy really well (43)
- Fanspeak: Mats Sundin voted greatest Maple Leaf in franchise history (43)
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history (41)