Jun 20, 2013, 2:18 PM EDT
Breaking news from today’s Fort Worth Chamber of Commerce luncheon (sigh, we knew we should’ve been there) — Lindy Ruff will be the new head coach of the Dallas Stars, reports the Star-Telegram’s Travis Brown.
Stars president and CEO Jim Lites made the announcement, saying he shook hands with Ruff in the Dallas suburb of Frisco before coming to the lunch.
Ruff, of course, was fired by the Sabres in February. He had been the head coach in Buffalo since July 21, 1997, and was the longest-serving coach in the NHL. Four times he took Buffalo to the conference finals, advancing to the Stanley Cup finals in 1999 where the Sabres fell to the Dallas Stars in six games.
In 2006, Ruff won the Jack Adams Award as the NHL’s top coach.
Update (2:32 p.m. ET)
Just talked to Jim Lites and he said tap the brakes on Lindy Ruff hiring. Said they like him a lot but nothing is done yet.—
Mike Heika (@MikeHeika) June 20, 2013
Update (3:29 p.m. ET)
Tortorella interviewed strong with the Stars. Nill is expected to spend a couple of days with Ruff before a final decision is made.—
Darren Dreger (@DarrenDreger) June 20, 2013
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 2
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 19
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 15
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 8
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 25
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 38
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 38
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 54
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)