Jun 20, 2013, 8:37 PM EDT
Never underestimate the value of a good pep talk once in a while.
According to a story in the Globe and Mail, Chicago Blackhawks defenseman Brent Seabrook once again had to show some tough love to his teammate and captain Jonathan Toews prior to Game 4 of the Stanley Cup Final against the Boston Bruins.
“To be completely honest, I was sick and tired of hearing everybody talk about everything that Johnny is doing right,” Seabrook told the Globe and Mail.
“I mean, he’s got to score goals for us. … It wasn’t about the little things that he does. It wasn’t about his leadership that he brings. I just thought that maybe he needed to start thinking about scoring goals.”
We’re not sure of any specifics of the conversation, what, if any, blue language was used, or the tone of what was said.
But apparently it got through to Toews, at least for a very important Game 4.
Toews had one goal in the Blackhawks overtime victory Wednesday, which evened the best-of-seven final series at two-games apiece.
As for the man responsible for the motivational talk, Seabrook backed it up by scoring the overtime winning goal for Chicago.
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 4
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 11
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 62
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 33
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 31
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (62)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Arena deal in jeopardy? Glendale mayor requests investigation into ‘clear violation’ of state law (42)
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal (42)