Jun 20, 2013, 8:37 PM EDT
Never underestimate the value of a good pep talk once in a while.
According to a story in the Globe and Mail, Chicago Blackhawks defenseman Brent Seabrook once again had to show some tough love to his teammate and captain Jonathan Toews prior to Game 4 of the Stanley Cup Final against the Boston Bruins.
“To be completely honest, I was sick and tired of hearing everybody talk about everything that Johnny is doing right,” Seabrook told the Globe and Mail.
“I mean, he’s got to score goals for us. … It wasn’t about the little things that he does. It wasn’t about his leadership that he brings. I just thought that maybe he needed to start thinking about scoring goals.”
We’re not sure of any specifics of the conversation, what, if any, blue language was used, or the tone of what was said.
But apparently it got through to Toews, at least for a very important Game 4.
Toews had one goal in the Blackhawks overtime victory Wednesday, which evened the best-of-seven final series at two-games apiece.
As for the man responsible for the motivational talk, Seabrook backed it up by scoring the overtime winning goal for Chicago.
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 57
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 3
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- Deal with the Devils: New Jersey re-signs Larsson to six-year contract 14
- Stepan seeks $7.25M in arbitration, Rangers counter at $5.2M 24
- Capitals investment: Holtby signs five-year, $30.5M deal 21
- Redemption time? Montreal, Semin agree to one-year deal 26
- Full autonomy: Lamoriello’s place in Leafs’ chain of command 26
- Lamoriello’s departure removes any doubt: Devils are Shero’s team 21
- With Lamoriello hire, Leafs hammer home their culture change 23
- Post expansion, could NHL realign with eight divisions? (138)
- NHL to ‘focus exclusively’ on expansion bids for Las Vegas and Quebec City (89)
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- Ah, arbitration: Holtby reportedly asking for $8 million, Caps countering at $5.1 million (59)