Jun 20, 2013, 8:37 PM EDT
Never underestimate the value of a good pep talk once in a while.
According to a story in the Globe and Mail, Chicago Blackhawks defenseman Brent Seabrook once again had to show some tough love to his teammate and captain Jonathan Toews prior to Game 4 of the Stanley Cup Final against the Boston Bruins.
“To be completely honest, I was sick and tired of hearing everybody talk about everything that Johnny is doing right,” Seabrook told the Globe and Mail.
“I mean, he’s got to score goals for us. … It wasn’t about the little things that he does. It wasn’t about his leadership that he brings. I just thought that maybe he needed to start thinking about scoring goals.”
We’re not sure of any specifics of the conversation, what, if any, blue language was used, or the tone of what was said.
But apparently it got through to Toews, at least for a very important Game 4.
Toews had one goal in the Blackhawks overtime victory Wednesday, which evened the best-of-seven final series at two-games apiece.
As for the man responsible for the motivational talk, Seabrook backed it up by scoring the overtime winning goal for Chicago.
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 0
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 26
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 13
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)