Jun 20, 2013, 8:37 PM EST
Never underestimate the value of a good pep talk once in a while.
According to a story in the Globe and Mail, Chicago Blackhawks defenseman Brent Seabrook once again had to show some tough love to his teammate and captain Jonathan Toews prior to Game 4 of the Stanley Cup Final against the Boston Bruins.
“To be completely honest, I was sick and tired of hearing everybody talk about everything that Johnny is doing right,” Seabrook told the Globe and Mail.
“I mean, he’s got to score goals for us. … It wasn’t about the little things that he does. It wasn’t about his leadership that he brings. I just thought that maybe he needed to start thinking about scoring goals.”
We’re not sure of any specifics of the conversation, what, if any, blue language was used, or the tone of what was said.
But apparently it got through to Toews, at least for a very important Game 4.
Toews had one goal in the Blackhawks overtime victory Wednesday, which evened the best-of-seven final series at two-games apiece.
As for the man responsible for the motivational talk, Seabrook backed it up by scoring the overtime winning goal for Chicago.
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 19
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Fowler after Ducks’ win vs. Sharks: ‘We never give up’ 1
- Daly: Fehr’s lockout prediction ‘naive and uneducated’ 23
- Pens send Downie, Sutter, Greiss home for mumps test (Updated) 13
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (63)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Who are the Bruins targeting in trade talks? (47)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (42)