Jun 20, 2013, 8:37 PM EST
Never underestimate the value of a good pep talk once in a while.
According to a story in the Globe and Mail, Chicago Blackhawks defenseman Brent Seabrook once again had to show some tough love to his teammate and captain Jonathan Toews prior to Game 4 of the Stanley Cup Final against the Boston Bruins.
“To be completely honest, I was sick and tired of hearing everybody talk about everything that Johnny is doing right,” Seabrook told the Globe and Mail.
“I mean, he’s got to score goals for us. … It wasn’t about the little things that he does. It wasn’t about his leadership that he brings. I just thought that maybe he needed to start thinking about scoring goals.”
We’re not sure of any specifics of the conversation, what, if any, blue language was used, or the tone of what was said.
But apparently it got through to Toews, at least for a very important Game 4.
Toews had one goal in the Blackhawks overtime victory Wednesday, which evened the best-of-seven final series at two-games apiece.
As for the man responsible for the motivational talk, Seabrook backed it up by scoring the overtime winning goal for Chicago.
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 130
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 97
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 115
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 8
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 14
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 89
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 87
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 69
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (180)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (130)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (127)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (115)
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller (97)