Jun 20, 2013, 10:46 AM EDT
Colby Armstrong‘s first year with the Canadiens didn’t go exactly to plan on the ice.
Off it, though, it went as well as he could’ve imagined.
“I loved Montreal. There’s a great group of guys here,” Armstrong told the Canadiens website. “My family and I loved this city. Being a part of this team was an incredible experience.”
After two largely forgettable seasons in Toronto, Armstrong signed with the Habs last summer in the hopes of reviving his career. The former 22-goal scorer did have an impact, playing 37 games (2G-3A-5PTS) while averaging over 11 minutes per night, but felt as though he could’ve shown more on his one-year deal.
“It’s unfortunate that I hurt my knee at the end of the year,” he explained. “I was able to come back a little bit early to try and salvage a small part of the shortened season.
“I had some highs and lows, but I believe that I still managed to do a good job fulfilling my role.”
Armstrong was signed in an effort to make the Habs more difficult to play against — which he did, on occasion — and to provide some grit/sandpaper in the bottom six.
Which he also did — on occasion.
The question now is if Montreal chooses to bring him back for 2013-14. Armstrong came to Montreal on the cheap (one year, $1 million), but the team already has 10 forwards under contract next season and decisions to make on RFA Ryan White and UFAs Jeff Halpern and Petteri Nokelainen.
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 7
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 37
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 14
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)