Jun 19, 2013, 10:19 PM EDT
If you’re the type who grimaces at a “low-chance game,” then Wednesday’s Game 4 matchup has been a breathe of fresh air. Actually, the second period was more like a wild circus of scoring. The two squads combined for five goals in about 11 minutes of game time.
Update: here are all five of the goals in a single video:
Maybe it’s all about one star finally breaking out, as Jonathan Toews broke a 10-game scoring slump to make it 2-1 (6:33 into the second):
It appears that Joel Quenneville was wise in putting the Chicago Blackhawks’ top two players back together, as Patrick Kane made it 3-1 with this rebound shot about two minutes later (8:41 in):
For a while there, this game seemed like it was falling apart for Boston, but the Bruins showed they can hang. Milan Lucic made it 3-2 by capitalizing on a loose puck (14:43 in):
The Bruins refused to get deflated – or maybe they didn’t have time to sulk – as Patrice Bergeron took advantage of a weird bounce or two to make it 4-3 with this power-play tally (17:22 in):
Those goals don’t represent every chance by any means, either. Patrick Sharp was unable to bury a couple high-end chances and the second period ended with such a frenzy that the goal horn operator prematurely announced a phantom score.
It’s hard to predict who will win this game (which Chicago leads 4-3), but here’s a safe one: both head coaches are probably livid right now. Tune in for the rest of the contest on NBC.
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 13
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 4
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 7
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 7
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 12
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 18
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)