Jun 19, 2013, 11:17 AM EDT
The 2013 NHL Entry Draft is believed to be one of the deepest in recent memory.
So, no surprise a number of GMs are trying to get in on the action.
One of those is Ottawa’s Bryan Murray who, on Tuesday, said he wants to move up from his club’s current position — No. 17 overall — and has already made calls to make it happen.
“If you move up, there’s a chance to maybe get that better player,” Murray told the Ottawa Citizen. “I’ve talked to a number of teams and asked them to consider possibility of flipping picks or doing something where they might get what they need out of it and we might get what we need out of it.”
Murray said he’s angling for a top-six forward. Problem is, he probably won’t be able to get one at Ottawa’s current draft position.
It’s no surprise he’s looking to add something dynamic up front.
Following the Sens’ second-round elimination to Pittsburgh, Murray said his top priority was to add offense to a team that averaged just 2.33 goals per game this season.
With a questionable free agent market and uncertainty as to which players will be bought out, trying to find offense via the draft is as good a strategy as any.
But, as Murray points out, teams currently holding high picks at the draft are often hesitant to move them.
“I don’t know if anybody will consider [trading], but I know as you get closer to the draft, if you have a pick very high up, it’s very hard to make the decision to move back,” he explained.
“I’m not thinking that will happen, but we at least have to make the calls and to suggest we’re open to talk.”
Jul 9, 2014, 9:41 PM EDT
Unlike what they did with Sean Monahan and Sven Baertschi.
Jul 9, 2014, 8:42 PM EDT
Appeared in nine games for Boston last season.
Jul 9, 2014, 7:43 PM EDT
Pictured: Dale Tallon.
Jul 9, 2014, 6:42 PM EDT
“We expect to have a decision by early next week.”
Jul 9, 2014, 5:49 PM EDT
Fairly significant pay cut for the former Wild winger.
Jul 9, 2014, 5:19 PM EDT
One-year, two-way deal for the ex-Jets goalie.
Jul 9, 2014, 4:21 PM EDT
NHLPA released the dates today.
Jul 9, 2014, 4:21 PM EDT
Big money for Martin Brodeur’s successor.
Jul 9, 2014, 3:23 PM EDT
Tomas Plekanec, Andrei Markov and Max Pacioretty also in the mix.
Jul 9, 2014, 2:30 PM EDT
Had that one great game against the Kings last season.
Jul 9, 2014, 1:10 PM EDT
$10.5 million cap hits each.
Jul 9, 2014, 12:59 PM EDT
He coached in Washington, right?
Jul 9, 2014, 11:59 AM EDT
Still not clear how he hurt himself.
Jul 9, 2014, 11:30 AM EDT
Scored once with eight assists in his rookie season.
Jul 9, 2014, 10:42 AM EDT
Either trade him or kiss and make up.
Jul 9, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
It’s been a hot topic recently.
Jul 9, 2014, 8:13 AM EDT
That’d be 21-year-old Ryo Hashimoto, who plays for the Oji Eagles of the Asia League
Jul 9, 2014, 1:02 AM EDT
The injury impacted his performance in the playoffs.
Jul 8, 2014, 11:15 PM EDT
This time, it’s Colorado’s Conner Bleackley.
Jul 8, 2014, 10:16 PM EDT
GM Doug Wilson downplayed the injury as “minor.”
- Devils ink Schneider to reported seven-year, $42 million deal 34
- Big money: Toews, Kane sign eight-year, $84 million extensions 153
- Jets can’t let Kane situation fester much longer 49
- Report: Sidney Crosby will undergo wrist surgery 57
- Kane: ‘I’m a Winnipeg Jet right now… we’ll see what happens’ 50
- McDavid, Eichel top Central Scouting Futures list 14
- Columnist: Mike Green is ‘destined to be traded’ by Caps 40
- Spezza: ‘I’m just a piece to the puzzle’ in Dallas 32
- Ovechkin ‘upset’ at Grabovski departure, happy with defensive signings 18
- Washington Capitals were free agency’s biggest spenders 15
- Big money: Toews, Kane sign eight-year, $84 million extensions (165)
- Pros and cons of Subban filing for arbitration (67)
- Giroux apologizes, calls actions a ‘misguided attempt at humor’ (64)
- Boyle wanted Big Apple after playing in ‘nontraditional hockey markets’ of Florida, California (63)
- Report: Sidney Crosby will undergo wrist surgery (58)