Jun 19, 2013, 8:03 AM EDT
The Colorado Avalanche are still open to trading the first overall pick in the 2013 NHL Entry Draft, but if they keep it, they probably won’t select highly regarded defenseman Seth Jones.
Unless what you’re about to read is all a big bluff.
“If we do pick first, we’re leaning more toward one of those three forwards,” Avalanche executive vice president of hockey operations Joe Sakic told The Denver Post.
Sakic is referring to centers Nathan MacKinnon and Alexander Barkov as well as winger Jonathan Drouin. Of those three, MacKinnon is typically the highest ranked prospect.
The Avalanche need a defenseman more than a forward (and especially a center), but Sakic intends to pick the player he regards as the best available regardless of the team’s short-term needs.
“We feel those three forwards are just too good to pass up,” Sakic said.
As for their defense, the Avalanche might attempt to bolster it through the trade or free agent markets. They are in a healthy position from a cap perspective, which could put them at an advantage this summer as other teams attempt to get under the ceiling.
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 8
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 3
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 24
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 26
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 23
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 19
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 20
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 10
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 32
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)