Jun 19, 2013, 11:00 AM EDT
While we’re still waiting for confirmation of the actual Alain Vigneault hire, the soon-to-be new Rangers coach is already believed to be assembling his coaching staff, according to Larry Brooks of the New York Post.
One of those potential hires? Could be Vigneault’s former assistant in Vancouver, Newell Brown.
Brown, 51, had been an assistant/associate coach in Chicago, Columbus and Anaheim before joining the Canucks in 2010.
Primarily in charge of the power play, Brown initially achieved great success in Vancouver (had the NHL’s best PP in 2010-11, at 24.3 percent).
But, last season, the unit struggled mightily and finished a disappointing 22nd (15.8 percent) in the league.
Here’s more on the potential hire, from Brooks:
Brown offered an interesting observation/statistic regarding the power play in the aftermath of his dismissal by Vancouver, whicho also fired Vigneault and associate coach Rick Bowness. He told the Vancouver Sun that “77 percent of power-play goals are scored with at least two right-hand shots [on the ice].”
The power play has been a sore spot for New York over the last few years. It finished 23rd in the NHL this season (15.7 percent), 23rd last season (15.7 percent) and 18th in 2010-11 (16.9 percent).
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 4
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 19
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 9
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 8
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 17
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 33
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 11
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 20
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 24
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 25
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)