Jun 19, 2013, 11:00 AM EDT
While we’re still waiting for confirmation of the actual Alain Vigneault hire, the soon-to-be new Rangers coach is already believed to be assembling his coaching staff, according to Larry Brooks of the New York Post.
One of those potential hires? Could be Vigneault’s former assistant in Vancouver, Newell Brown.
Brown, 51, had been an assistant/associate coach in Chicago, Columbus and Anaheim before joining the Canucks in 2010.
Primarily in charge of the power play, Brown initially achieved great success in Vancouver (had the NHL’s best PP in 2010-11, at 24.3 percent).
But, last season, the unit struggled mightily and finished a disappointing 22nd (15.8 percent) in the league.
Here’s more on the potential hire, from Brooks:
Brown offered an interesting observation/statistic regarding the power play in the aftermath of his dismissal by Vancouver, whicho also fired Vigneault and associate coach Rick Bowness. He told the Vancouver Sun that “77 percent of power-play goals are scored with at least two right-hand shots [on the ice].”
The power play has been a sore spot for New York over the last few years. It finished 23rd in the NHL this season (15.7 percent), 23rd last season (15.7 percent) and 18th in 2010-11 (16.9 percent).
- ‘We’re going into the cage,’ says Kings’ coach Sutter about Game 5 0
- Kings stave off elimination, force Game 5 against Sharks 21
- Wild hold off late Avalanche push to even series at 2-2 53
- Bruins scratch out OT win, push Red Wings to brink 42
- WATCH LIVE: San Jose Sharks at L.A. Kings 0
- WATCH LIVE: Colorado Avalanche at Minnesota Wild (Game 4) 5
- Monster of a surprise: Red Wings start Gustavsson over Howard 5
- WATCH LIVE: Boston Bruins at Detroit Red Wings (Game 4) 2
- Bylsma rips Penguins, calls effort level ‘troubling’ 64
- Cooke: I didn’t intend to collide knee-on-knee with Barrie 99
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (137)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Wild’s Cooke offered in-person hearing for knee-on-knee collision with Barrie (111)