Jun 19, 2013, 11:00 AM EDT
While we’re still waiting for confirmation of the actual Alain Vigneault hire, the soon-to-be new Rangers coach is already believed to be assembling his coaching staff, according to Larry Brooks of the New York Post.
One of those potential hires? Could be Vigneault’s former assistant in Vancouver, Newell Brown.
Brown, 51, had been an assistant/associate coach in Chicago, Columbus and Anaheim before joining the Canucks in 2010.
Primarily in charge of the power play, Brown initially achieved great success in Vancouver (had the NHL’s best PP in 2010-11, at 24.3 percent).
But, last season, the unit struggled mightily and finished a disappointing 22nd (15.8 percent) in the league.
Here’s more on the potential hire, from Brooks:
Brown offered an interesting observation/statistic regarding the power play in the aftermath of his dismissal by Vancouver, whicho also fired Vigneault and associate coach Rick Bowness. He told the Vancouver Sun that “77 percent of power-play goals are scored with at least two right-hand shots [on the ice].”
The power play has been a sore spot for New York over the last few years. It finished 23rd in the NHL this season (15.7 percent), 23rd last season (15.7 percent) and 18th in 2010-11 (16.9 percent).
- Happy now? Kessel dropped 13 lbs. this summer 17
- Rich Peverley retires from NHL, joins Stars’ front office 10
- Update: Multiple witnesses reportedly subpoenaed in Patrick Kane rape investigation 40
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 28
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 26
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (49)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (43)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)