Jun 19, 2013, 9:51 AM EDT
New York Islanders forward David Ullstrom has spent the last few years trying to establish himself as a regular in the NHL, but that is at very least on hold.
The 24-year-old has agreed to terms with the KHL’s Lokomotiv Yaroslavl, according to the team’s Twitter.
“So excited for this new adventure with Lokomotiv,” Ullstrom tweeted. “Can this season start already!”
Ullstrom first broke into the NHL during the 2011-12 campaign and went on to record four goals and eight points in 29 contests.
He followed it up with two goals and five points in 20 games with the New York Islanders in 2013. He also had an assist in three playoff contests.
The Swedish forward was scheduled to become a restricted free agent this summer after completing his entry-level deal.
Meanwhile, Mattias Tedenby has inked a one-year, $600,000 extension with the New Jersey Devils, according to RDS’ Renaud Lavoie. His deal is one-way, so he will likely start the 2013-14 campaign with New Jersey.
Tedenby, 23, was slashed in the face by a skate while in the AHL in February and needed plastic surgery. Before that, he had an assist in four NHL contests in 2013.
He has nine points and 29 points in 105 career NHL contests. Like Ullstrom, he was scheduled to become a restricted free agent this summer.
- Blues lose Backes, Oshie indefinitely to concussions 3
- Struggling Coyotes ‘not anywhere good enough,’ says GM 9
- Red Wings take over third period, blank Ovechkin in win 8
- Video: Doc Emrick’s heartfelt words about Gordie Howe 5
- Rangers’ Moore suspended five games for ‘extremely difficult’ Haula hit 18
- Ovechkin looking to avoid career-long scoring slump tonight 11
- Nolan skates Sabres, says the time for ‘taking it easy is over’ 38
- Report: Gryba, Tropp avoid punishment after getting tossed for hits 6
- What they’re saying about the Sabres (and it’s not good) 23
- NHL on NBCSN: Caps, Red Wings battle after hotly contested 13-14 series 5
- Video: John Moore with an elbow to the head of Erik Haula (Updated) (62)
- Report: Varlamov being sued by ex-girlfriend (47)
- Kreider calls Brodin hit a ‘bang-bang play,’ doesn’t plan to dramatically change his game (45)
- No hearing scheduled for Kreider after Brodin hit (44)
- Kopitar out, Lombardi irate as Kings will play shorthanded vs. Flyers (40)