Jun 19, 2013, 8:33 PM EST
Dave Tippett has agreed to the “dollars and cents” on a contract with the Phoenix Coyotes, he just needs clarity on the future of the franchise before signing a deal, Sportnet’s Chris Johnston reports.
Coyotes GM Don Maloney recently signed a contract extension with the team, but he understands Tippett’s concerns (and the fact that he could draw some serious suitors).
“Where he’s going to be coaching next year, that’s important to him — and I get it,” Maloney said. “He’s a very wanted commodity.”
Despite word that that Renaissance Sports Entertainment and the City of Glendale came to an arena lease agreement in principle last week,* the wheels continue to spin on the ownership situation, with the latest rumored possible relocation target being Seattle.
It’s unclear how it will all sort out, but this ownership mess, Tippett’s unsettled status and Mike Smith‘s looming free agency make for a huge summer for the Coyotes.
* – There’s a reason people practically strained muscles in noting that nothing was set in stone.
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 16
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 3
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 57
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 29
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 47
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 78
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 36
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)