Jun 19, 2013, 8:33 PM EDT
Dave Tippett has agreed to the “dollars and cents” on a contract with the Phoenix Coyotes, he just needs clarity on the future of the franchise before signing a deal, Sportnet’s Chris Johnston reports.
Coyotes GM Don Maloney recently signed a contract extension with the team, but he understands Tippett’s concerns (and the fact that he could draw some serious suitors).
“Where he’s going to be coaching next year, that’s important to him — and I get it,” Maloney said. “He’s a very wanted commodity.”
Despite word that that Renaissance Sports Entertainment and the City of Glendale came to an arena lease agreement in principle last week,* the wheels continue to spin on the ownership situation, with the latest rumored possible relocation target being Seattle.
It’s unclear how it will all sort out, but this ownership mess, Tippett’s unsettled status and Mike Smith‘s looming free agency make for a huge summer for the Coyotes.
* – There’s a reason people practically strained muscles in noting that nothing was set in stone.
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 14
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 7
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 13
- ‘Almost like a game seven tonight’ for Bruins, Panthers 15
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack 47
- How bad are things for the Kings after Monday? 21
- Lightning clinch playoff berth, but did they lose Hedman? 9
- Blackhawks tease good injury news for Kane 8
- Tough times in Tampa: Garrison out 3-4 weeks after ‘pretty dirty’ Abdelkader hit 22
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29