Jun 19, 2013, 8:33 PM EST
Dave Tippett has agreed to the “dollars and cents” on a contract with the Phoenix Coyotes, he just needs clarity on the future of the franchise before signing a deal, Sportnet’s Chris Johnston reports.
Coyotes GM Don Maloney recently signed a contract extension with the team, but he understands Tippett’s concerns (and the fact that he could draw some serious suitors).
“Where he’s going to be coaching next year, that’s important to him — and I get it,” Maloney said. “He’s a very wanted commodity.”
Despite word that that Renaissance Sports Entertainment and the City of Glendale came to an arena lease agreement in principle last week,* the wheels continue to spin on the ownership situation, with the latest rumored possible relocation target being Seattle.
It’s unclear how it will all sort out, but this ownership mess, Tippett’s unsettled status and Mike Smith‘s looming free agency make for a huge summer for the Coyotes.
* – There’s a reason people practically strained muscles in noting that nothing was set in stone.
- Martin Brodeur to retire, become Blues asst. GM (Updated) 24
- Mike Richards clears waivers 29
- Game on: Islanders-Rangers to be played despite storm 13
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 54
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 123
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 24
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 17
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 33
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (123)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)