Jun 19, 2013, 5:19 PM EST
There’s a “distinct possibility” the Toronto Maple Leafs will use one of their two compliance buyouts this summer, general manager Dave Nonis told reporters today in Boston.
If we were to guess, that buyout would be used on defenseman Mike Komisarek, who has one year left on his contract, with a cap hit of $4.5 million.
The only other candidate that comes to mind is d-man John-Michael Liles.
Komisarek, 31, only appeared in four games for the Leafs this season and was sent down to the AHL Marlies in March.
Nonis, like many of his NHL counterparts, could be a busy guy this summer. He said last month that he believes there’s going to be a flurry of trades this summer as teams adjust to a lower salary cap. He also said he thought the Leafs, who aren’t as desperate as others to shed salary, may be in a position to take advantage of other clubs’ problems.
Dave Nonis says talks aren't far along with UFAs, which include Bozak and MacArthur.—
Chris Johnston (@reporterchris) June 19, 2013
- Lundqvist hooked after three first-period goals as Rangers’ woes continue 19
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 39
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 19
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 37
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 83
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 33
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (184)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)