Jun 19, 2013, 9:22 PM EDT
The Vancouver Canucks might just shed Keith Ballard‘s albatross contract by way of a compliance buyout this summer, although the defenseman’s agent Ben Hankinson told the Vancouver Sun that he hasn’t heard word about that one way or another.
Hankinson thinks it would be a good thing for the 30-year-old blueliner if it did happen, though.
“It will be good for him if he does get bought out because he’ll get a fresh start somewhere else,” Hankinson said.
Considering his frequent status as a healthy scratch, one might wonder if “somewhere else” means overseas or the AHL, although Hankinson told the Vancouver Sun that he expects interest from other NHL teams.
It’s unclear when the ball would start rolling on that, as he also believes that the Canucks might try to unload Ballard’s $4.2 million cap hit (which expires after the 2014-15 season) via a trade at the 2013 NHL Draft.
“My guess is they are going to push the trade front as hard as they can, probably up to the (June 30) draft, and see where that takes them,” Hankinson said.
Either way, Ballard’s days with the Canucks look numbered.
- Video: Drouin scores first NHL goal, shows early chemistry with Stamkos 1
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 11
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 25
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 23
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 18
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 17
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 9
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 31
- Report: Isles’ Bailey out indefinitely after breaking hand 3
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)