Jun 19, 2013, 9:22 PM EDT
The Vancouver Canucks might just shed Keith Ballard‘s albatross contract by way of a compliance buyout this summer, although the defenseman’s agent Ben Hankinson told the Vancouver Sun that he hasn’t heard word about that one way or another.
Hankinson thinks it would be a good thing for the 30-year-old blueliner if it did happen, though.
“It will be good for him if he does get bought out because he’ll get a fresh start somewhere else,” Hankinson said.
Considering his frequent status as a healthy scratch, one might wonder if “somewhere else” means overseas or the AHL, although Hankinson told the Vancouver Sun that he expects interest from other NHL teams.
It’s unclear when the ball would start rolling on that, as he also believes that the Canucks might try to unload Ballard’s $4.2 million cap hit (which expires after the 2014-15 season) via a trade at the 2013 NHL Draft.
“My guess is they are going to push the trade front as hard as they can, probably up to the (June 30) draft, and see where that takes them,” Hankinson said.
Either way, Ballard’s days with the Canucks look numbered.
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 1
- Bruins ruin Lundqvist’s return 24
- Video: Letang hospitalized after Doan hit (Update) 36
- Bruins chalk Rask’s absence up to dehydration (Update) 4
- Happy returns: Datsyuk plays for Detroit 2
- Gearing up: Malkin, Hornqvist return for Pens 0
- Five big games to watch this weekend 8
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 36
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)