Jun 19, 2013, 9:22 PM EST
The Vancouver Canucks might just shed Keith Ballard‘s albatross contract by way of a compliance buyout this summer, although the defenseman’s agent Ben Hankinson told the Vancouver Sun that he hasn’t heard word about that one way or another.
Hankinson thinks it would be a good thing for the 30-year-old blueliner if it did happen, though.
“It will be good for him if he does get bought out because he’ll get a fresh start somewhere else,” Hankinson said.
Considering his frequent status as a healthy scratch, one might wonder if “somewhere else” means overseas or the AHL, although Hankinson told the Vancouver Sun that he expects interest from other NHL teams.
It’s unclear when the ball would start rolling on that, as he also believes that the Canucks might try to unload Ballard’s $4.2 million cap hit (which expires after the 2014-15 season) via a trade at the 2013 NHL Draft.
“My guess is they are going to push the trade front as hard as they can, probably up to the (June 30) draft, and see where that takes them,” Hankinson said.
Either way, Ballard’s days with the Canucks look numbered.
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 5
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 34
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 71
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 32
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 18
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 15
- Four goals: Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 63
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)