Jun 19, 2013, 11:27 AM EDT
Kris Letang may have played his last game for the Pittsburgh Penguins, if a pair of reports from a couple of NHL insiders are accurate.
First up is ESPN’s Pierre LeBrun, who believes the Norris Trophy finalist is seeking no less than $7 million a year in a contract extension.
The Tribune-Review’s Rob Rossi doesn’t think so.
In fact, Rossi reports that Pens general manager Ray Shero is “fairly confident Letang has become a must-move player.”
That is true because Letang is not the consensus best defenseman on the Penguins, at least in the eyes of management and coaches.
That is true because the Penguins are deepest on defense among top prospects, including a couple of first-round picks from last summer (Derrick Pouliot and Olli Maatta).
Letang, 26, finished tied for the scoring lead among NHL defenseman in 2013, with 38 points in 35 games. But it’s fair to ask how much of his point production is tied to playing on a team loaded with dangerous forwards. Is he good enough defensively to command the money he’s reportedly going to be requesting?
According to LeBrun, Shero and Letang’s agent, Kent Hughes, are set to meet today in Boston. So whatever ends up happening, we may know it sooner than later.
Update (1:50 p.m. ET)
- DeBoer predicts ‘big bounce-back’ in San Jose 1
- Sabres name Bylsma head coach 22
- Lundqvist on Game 7: ‘You’re definitely nervous, but it comes down to teamwork’ 8
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue 56
- Stanley Cup Final to begin June 3 5
- Caps’ Backstrom undergoes arthroscopic hip surgery 4
- Report: Sens’ Murray to retire after next season 0
- Of course: ‘Hawks, Ducks’ back-and-forth series is going to Game 7 48
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 6 1
- As Bolts deal with illness, extra day of rest could prove beneficial 11
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue (56)
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ (54)