Jun 18, 2013, 3:07 PM EDT
While the deal can’t be made official until July 5, the numbers are out on Logan Couture‘s contract extension in San Jose.
TSN’s Bob McKenzie reports it’s a five-year, $30 million deal that will kick in for the 2014-15 season, and carry a $6 million annual cap hit.
In 2013-14, Couture will play out the final season of his current two-year, $5.75 million deal.
The 24-year-old was San Jose’s priority No. 1 this offseason after enjoying a stellar campaign. The former Ottawa 67′s standout led the Sharks in goals this year, with 21, and finished second to Joe Thornton in scoring with 37 points.
Couture then tied for the team goalscoring lead in the playoffs, with five, and had 11 points in 11 games while averaging over 20 minutes per night.
Head coach Todd McLellan praised Couture — who many expect to be the team’s next captain — for “driving the bus” down the stretch and into the postseason.
The Sharks have to be happy with how this deal played out.
In terms of comparables, CSN Bay Area’s Kevin Kurz pointed to two contracts — Jeff Skinner’s in Carolina and Tyler Seguin’s in Boston:
Both about to begin six-year extensions in 2013-14 with their respective clubs. Skinner’s deal is worth $34.35 million, while Seguin’s is slightly more at $34.5 million.
From a pure production standpoint, Skinner has averaged .70 points per game over his three-year career, while Seguin has produced .60 points per game.
Couture, with 167 points in 232 career regular season games, checks in at .72 points per game.
Skinner carries a $5.725 million annual cap hit, while Seguin is at $5.75 million.
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 4
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 5
- Update: NHL wants to see fine system in action before publicizing diving 3
- Get your odds to make the playoffs for all 30 NHL teams 17
- Blue Jackets GM to Johansen: It’s about the team, not ‘one guy’ 25
- Will the NHL publicize divers? 48
- Report: NHL, Epix network to partner on Winter Classic reality series 17
- Habs to play without captain for just second time in franchise history 16
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman 53
- Devils post-Martin Brodeur era about to truly start 9