Jun 18, 2013, 3:07 PM EDT
While the deal can’t be made official until July 5, the numbers are out on Logan Couture‘s contract extension in San Jose.
TSN’s Bob McKenzie reports it’s a five-year, $30 million deal that will kick in for the 2014-15 season, and carry a $6 million annual cap hit.
In 2013-14, Couture will play out the final season of his current two-year, $5.75 million deal.
The 24-year-old was San Jose’s priority No. 1 this offseason after enjoying a stellar campaign. The former Ottawa 67′s standout led the Sharks in goals this year, with 21, and finished second to Joe Thornton in scoring with 37 points.
Couture then tied for the team goalscoring lead in the playoffs, with five, and had 11 points in 11 games while averaging over 20 minutes per night.
Head coach Todd McLellan praised Couture — who many expect to be the team’s next captain — for “driving the bus” down the stretch and into the postseason.
The Sharks have to be happy with how this deal played out.
In terms of comparables, CSN Bay Area’s Kevin Kurz pointed to two contracts — Jeff Skinner’s in Carolina and Tyler Seguin’s in Boston:
Both about to begin six-year extensions in 2013-14 with their respective clubs. Skinner’s deal is worth $34.35 million, while Seguin’s is slightly more at $34.5 million.
From a pure production standpoint, Skinner has averaged .70 points per game over his three-year career, while Seguin has produced .60 points per game.
Couture, with 167 points in 232 career regular season games, checks in at .72 points per game.
Skinner carries a $5.725 million annual cap hit, while Seguin is at $5.75 million.
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 37
- Getting clutch? Capitals reportedly sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 6
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 28
- Bruins sign Beleskey for five years, despite some warning signs 39
- Kessel trade shows Leafs are trying to ‘build this thing the right way’ 20
- Green signs with Red Wings — 3 years, $18 million 23
- ‘It’s hard to find players like Phil Kessel’ 39
- Kassian traded to Habs for Prust; Hodgson signs with Preds 17
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins 130
- Oilers get Sekera for six years, closing in on Letestu 7
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)