Jun 18, 2013, 12:02 AM EDT
CSN’s Kevin Kurz has confirmed the deal with Couture’s agent, John Thornton, though length of term and money have yet to be announced.
Couture, 24, had one season remaining on the two-year, $5.75 million deal signed in 2012, and was set to become a restricted free agent at the end of 2013-14.
Even though the Sharks had time to work a new deal, it was clear GM Doug Wilson wanted Couture locked up sooner rather than later.
Today, reports from both Kurz and CBC’s Elliotte Friedman suggested an extension was close. The former Ottawa 67’s standout led the Sharks in goals this year, with 21, and finished second to Joe Thornton in scoring with 37 points.
Sharks head coach Todd McLellan raved about Couture’s leadership abilities and praised him for “driving the bus” down the stretch and into the playoffs. Couture tied for the team goalscoring lead in the playoffs, with five, and had 11 points in 11 games while averaging over 20 minutes per night.
It’s unclear exactly when details of the new deal will come out, as Couture technically can’t sign an extension until July 5.
But if you’re curious as to what his contract might look like, here’s Kurz from earlier Monday:
There are a couple NHL players that are comparable to Couture when it comes to on-ice production, and therefore what he might expect in terms of contract length and dollars and cents.
Carolina’s Jeff Skinner and Boston’s Tyler Seguin are both about to begin six-year extensions in 2013-14 with their respective clubs. Skinner’s deal is worth $34.35 million, while Seguin’s is slightly more at $34.5 million.
From a pure production standpoint, Skinner has averaged .70 points per game over his three-year career, while Seguin has produced .60 points per game. Couture, with 167 points in 232 career regular season games, checks in at .72 points per game.
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 17
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 13
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 4
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 7
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 25
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 12
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 18
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 38
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 12
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)