Jun 18, 2013, 12:02 AM EST
CSN’s Kevin Kurz has confirmed the deal with Couture’s agent, John Thornton, though length of term and money have yet to be announced.
Couture, 24, had one season remaining on the two-year, $5.75 million deal signed in 2012, and was set to become a restricted free agent at the end of 2013-14.
Even though the Sharks had time to work a new deal, it was clear GM Doug Wilson wanted Couture locked up sooner rather than later.
Today, reports from both Kurz and CBC’s Elliotte Friedman suggested an extension was close. The former Ottawa 67’s standout led the Sharks in goals this year, with 21, and finished second to Joe Thornton in scoring with 37 points.
Sharks head coach Todd McLellan raved about Couture’s leadership abilities and praised him for “driving the bus” down the stretch and into the playoffs. Couture tied for the team goalscoring lead in the playoffs, with five, and had 11 points in 11 games while averaging over 20 minutes per night.
It’s unclear exactly when details of the new deal will come out, as Couture technically can’t sign an extension until July 5.
But if you’re curious as to what his contract might look like, here’s Kurz from earlier Monday:
There are a couple NHL players that are comparable to Couture when it comes to on-ice production, and therefore what he might expect in terms of contract length and dollars and cents.
Carolina’s Jeff Skinner and Boston’s Tyler Seguin are both about to begin six-year extensions in 2013-14 with their respective clubs. Skinner’s deal is worth $34.35 million, while Seguin’s is slightly more at $34.5 million.
From a pure production standpoint, Skinner has averaged .70 points per game over his three-year career, while Seguin has produced .60 points per game. Couture, with 167 points in 232 career regular season games, checks in at .72 points per game.
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 23
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 1
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 5
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 11
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 21
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 49
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)