Jun 18, 2013, 12:02 AM EST
CSN’s Kevin Kurz has confirmed the deal with Couture’s agent, John Thornton, though length of term and money have yet to be announced.
Couture, 24, had one season remaining on the two-year, $5.75 million deal signed in 2012, and was set to become a restricted free agent at the end of 2013-14.
Even though the Sharks had time to work a new deal, it was clear GM Doug Wilson wanted Couture locked up sooner rather than later.
Today, reports from both Kurz and CBC’s Elliotte Friedman suggested an extension was close. The former Ottawa 67’s standout led the Sharks in goals this year, with 21, and finished second to Joe Thornton in scoring with 37 points.
Sharks head coach Todd McLellan raved about Couture’s leadership abilities and praised him for “driving the bus” down the stretch and into the playoffs. Couture tied for the team goalscoring lead in the playoffs, with five, and had 11 points in 11 games while averaging over 20 minutes per night.
It’s unclear exactly when details of the new deal will come out, as Couture technically can’t sign an extension until July 5.
But if you’re curious as to what his contract might look like, here’s Kurz from earlier Monday:
There are a couple NHL players that are comparable to Couture when it comes to on-ice production, and therefore what he might expect in terms of contract length and dollars and cents.
Carolina’s Jeff Skinner and Boston’s Tyler Seguin are both about to begin six-year extensions in 2013-14 with their respective clubs. Skinner’s deal is worth $34.35 million, while Seguin’s is slightly more at $34.5 million.
From a pure production standpoint, Skinner has averaged .70 points per game over his three-year career, while Seguin has produced .60 points per game. Couture, with 167 points in 232 career regular season games, checks in at .72 points per game.
- Cardiac Cats: Panthers win as Reimer, Leafs fade in third 7
- Report: Canes’ Jordan Staal to make season debut Monday 1
- ‘We can build on this': Devils lose with Lou Lamoriello behind the bench 7
- Video: Nyquist scores OT winner on incredible individual effort 8
- Video: Ovechkin crushes Letang, Capitals cruise by the Penguins 7
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap 75
- Video: NHL on NBC panel breaks down the coaching situation in New Jersey 4
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 37
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 2