Jun 18, 2013, 10:29 AM EST
Yesterday, we passed along a report from the New York Post that the New Jersey Devils were back in financial choppy waters.
Today, the Post has an update on the situation, including news that a couple of familiar names may be ready to invest in the club:
The deal under discussion with ex-Tampa Bay Lightning owner Oren Koules and former pro hockey player Brian Lawton would allow the pair to take eventual ownership of the cash-strapped franchise if they cover losses beyond a certain point, according to sources.
“A deal is not far off,” one source said.
However, current Devils owner Jeff Vanderbeek could remain in charge if he turns around the team’s finances in the next few years, a source said.
There are more financial details in the story, if you’re curious. From a hockey standpoint, it will be interesting to see if this affects the team’s ability to re-sign unrestricted free agents like Patrik Elias, David Clarkson, Marek Zidlicky and Dainius Zubrus.
Nov 25, 2014, 3:31 PM EST
News and notes from around the crease…
Nov 25, 2014, 3:31 PM EST
“I would rather fight than turtle or anything like that.”
Nov 25, 2014, 2:36 PM EST
This is… surprising.
Nov 25, 2014, 2:25 PM EST
Cory Schneider to “see what kind of player he is” tonight.
Nov 25, 2014, 2:01 PM EST
The Blue Jackets, Flyers, Avalanche, Stars, and Sharks all made the playoffs last season. But they’re not in position now.
Nov 25, 2014, 1:47 PM EST
GM Dale Tallon reportedly wants to make room for some youngsters.
Nov 25, 2014, 1:25 PM EST
For the first time since Nov. 1.
Nov 25, 2014, 12:38 PM EST
That’s a picture of former first-rounder Alex Plante.
Nov 25, 2014, 12:28 PM EST
Pointless in 17 games this season.
Nov 25, 2014, 12:01 PM EST
So says Patrick Roy.
Nov 25, 2014, 11:34 AM EST
Isles were the biggest risers.
Nov 25, 2014, 10:43 AM EST
“Of course, I’m not too happy.”
Nov 25, 2014, 9:55 AM EST
“So I won’t be playing that much next game, I don’t think.”
Nov 25, 2014, 8:59 AM EST
They’re drawing just 12,404 fans per game.
Nov 25, 2014, 8:00 AM EST
Tuesday’s collection of links.
Nov 24, 2014, 11:54 PM EST
“I understand the business.”
Nov 24, 2014, 10:32 PM EST
Steve Mason stole a point for Philly tonight.
Nov 24, 2014, 9:59 PM EST
The Bruins manage a point via that 3-2 OT loss.
Nov 24, 2014, 9:31 PM EST
It’s been a rough ride since he signed with Detroit.
Nov 24, 2014, 9:01 PM EST
They enter the third period tied with Pittsburgh 2-2.
- On the odds of fighting back after Thanksgiving 2
- Why are the Oilers still bad? Look at their drafting 9
- The Leafs are worth almost seven times the Panthers, says Forbes 11
- Isles make some history; Are the Flyers headed for trouble? 40
- Crosby, Malkin power Penguins, help Fleury grab 300th win 5
- Sooner than later? Bruins GM hopes Chara can return in 10-14 days 1
- With worst save percentage in NHL, Oilers fire goalie coach 22
- Pat Quinn, ‘one of hockey’s most respected individuals,’ has died 14
- NHL on NBCSN: Bruins seek perfect game vs. Penguins 8
- Legendary hockey coach Viktor Tikhonov has died 15
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (99)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)