Jun 18, 2013, 10:29 AM EDT
Yesterday, we passed along a report from the New York Post that the New Jersey Devils were back in financial choppy waters.
Today, the Post has an update on the situation, including news that a couple of familiar names may be ready to invest in the club:
The deal under discussion with ex-Tampa Bay Lightning owner Oren Koules and former pro hockey player Brian Lawton would allow the pair to take eventual ownership of the cash-strapped franchise if they cover losses beyond a certain point, according to sources.
“A deal is not far off,” one source said.
However, current Devils owner Jeff Vanderbeek could remain in charge if he turns around the team’s finances in the next few years, a source said.
There are more financial details in the story, if you’re curious. From a hockey standpoint, it will be interesting to see if this affects the team’s ability to re-sign unrestricted free agents like Patrik Elias, David Clarkson, Marek Zidlicky and Dainius Zubrus.
- Rutherford on Fleury: ‘As long as I’m the GM, he’ll be our goalie’ 13
- Datsyuk will play tonight in Montreal 1
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers take on ‘Hawks in Chicago 8
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 28
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 3
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 29
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 36
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 78
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)