Jun 18, 2013, 9:27 PM EDT
With the Philadelphia Flyers dealing with a difficult cap situation and looking to sign offensive defenseman Mark Streit despite that, GM Paul Holmgren has informed forward Daniel Briere that he will be bought out, according to ESPN’s sources and confirmed by CSN Philly’s Tim Panaccio.
Briere, 35, had six goals and 16 points in 34 games this season. There’s no question that he can still contribute, but it’s also not hard to see why Philadelphia would want to be free of his $6.5 million annual cap hit, given their circumstances.
The bigger question now is what the Philadelphia Flyers might do with goaltender Ilya Bryzgalov. Although the Flyers’ cap situation is serious, the team reportedly hasn’t decided if they should use their other compliance buyout to get his eight-year, $51 million deal off the books.
Interestingly, Ilya Bryzgalov’s agent, Rich Winter, has been informed that his client won’t be bought out after the Stanley Cup Final concludes, according to Josh Rimer.
That being said, circumstances can change in a hurry. As Philadelphia Daily News writer Frank Seravalli pointed out, Jeff Carter‘s agent was told his client that he wouldn’t be traded a week before he was sent to the Columbus Blue Jackets.
“I’ve worked with (Holmgren) a long time,” Winter told Seravalli. “Until he gives me a reason to think otherwise, I trust him.”
Update: “I didn’t assure Rich Winter of anything. When the time comes to do our business we will do whatever is best for our hockey team,” Holmgren told Tim Panacci. In other words, anything is still possible.
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 70
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 42
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 33
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 3
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 56
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 30
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 21
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 33
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)