Jun 18, 2013, 9:27 PM EDT
With the Philadelphia Flyers dealing with a difficult cap situation and looking to sign offensive defenseman Mark Streit despite that, GM Paul Holmgren has informed forward Daniel Briere that he will be bought out, according to ESPN’s sources and confirmed by CSN Philly’s Tim Panaccio.
Briere, 35, had six goals and 16 points in 34 games this season. There’s no question that he can still contribute, but it’s also not hard to see why Philadelphia would want to be free of his $6.5 million annual cap hit, given their circumstances.
The bigger question now is what the Philadelphia Flyers might do with goaltender Ilya Bryzgalov. Although the Flyers’ cap situation is serious, the team reportedly hasn’t decided if they should use their other compliance buyout to get his eight-year, $51 million deal off the books.
Interestingly, Ilya Bryzgalov’s agent, Rich Winter, has been informed that his client won’t be bought out after the Stanley Cup Final concludes, according to Josh Rimer.
That being said, circumstances can change in a hurry. As Philadelphia Daily News writer Frank Seravalli pointed out, Jeff Carter‘s agent was told his client that he wouldn’t be traded a week before he was sent to the Columbus Blue Jackets.
“I’ve worked with (Holmgren) a long time,” Winter told Seravalli. “Until he gives me a reason to think otherwise, I trust him.”
Update: “I didn’t assure Rich Winter of anything. When the time comes to do our business we will do whatever is best for our hockey team,” Holmgren told Tim Panacci. In other words, anything is still possible.
- Canucks ink Brandon Sutter to five-year, $21.875 million extension 0
- NHL unveils ‘historic’ digital media rights deal with MLBAM 29
- It’s Detroit Red Wings Day at PHT 15
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 32
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 33
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 29
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting (45)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)