Jun 18, 2013, 9:27 PM EDT
With the Philadelphia Flyers dealing with a difficult cap situation and looking to sign offensive defenseman Mark Streit despite that, GM Paul Holmgren has informed forward Daniel Briere that he will be bought out, according to ESPN’s sources and confirmed by CSN Philly’s Tim Panaccio.
Briere, 35, had six goals and 16 points in 34 games this season. There’s no question that he can still contribute, but it’s also not hard to see why Philadelphia would want to be free of his $6.5 million annual cap hit, given their circumstances.
The bigger question now is what the Philadelphia Flyers might do with goaltender Ilya Bryzgalov. Although the Flyers’ cap situation is serious, the team reportedly hasn’t decided if they should use their other compliance buyout to get his eight-year, $51 million deal off the books.
Interestingly, Ilya Bryzgalov’s agent, Rich Winter, has been informed that his client won’t be bought out after the Stanley Cup Final concludes, according to Josh Rimer.
That being said, circumstances can change in a hurry. As Philadelphia Daily News writer Frank Seravalli pointed out, Jeff Carter‘s agent was told his client that he wouldn’t be traded a week before he was sent to the Columbus Blue Jackets.
“I’ve worked with (Holmgren) a long time,” Winter told Seravalli. “Until he gives me a reason to think otherwise, I trust him.”
Update: “I didn’t assure Rich Winter of anything. When the time comes to do our business we will do whatever is best for our hockey team,” Holmgren told Tim Panacci. In other words, anything is still possible.
- It’s Philadelphia Flyers Day at PHT 0
- Kovalev compares Subban to Leetch, says he isn’t worth the money 21
- Under pressure: Rick Nash 8
- Wang sells Isles to ex-Caps owner Ledecky 41
- Report: MLSE CEO Leiweke to step down (Update: Leiweke denies move) 5
- Report: Bertuzzi-Moore case settled out of court (Update: Bertuzzi’s lawyer confirms) 34
- Poll: Will Washington get back into the playoffs? 28
- Buffalo lands next two NHL scouting combines 25
- Under Pressure: In Washington? Take your pick 24
- It’s Washington Capitals day on PHT 42