Jun 18, 2013, 8:04 AM EDT
Meanwhile, the San Jose Sharks have been quiet on the subject thus far. The sticking point is likely that Couture’s signing can’t be completed until July 5. While the Pittsburgh Penguins announced Evgeni Malkin‘s signing even though he’s in the same situation, Sharks GM Doug Wilson doesn’t like to confirm signings or trades until they are official, according to San Jose Mercury News.
In other words, we might have to wait a few weeks before the Sharks formally announce the signing. That being said, Couture’s extension is expected to be a five-year deal, according to CSN’s Kevin Kurz. If that’s the case, Couture won’t be an unrestricted free agent until the summer of 2019 at the earliest.
- Blackhawks tease good injury news for Kane 0
- Tough times in Tampa: Garrison out 3-4 weeks after ‘pretty dirty’ Abdelkader hit 17
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 28
- NHL on NBCSN: Stakes high for Kings, ‘Hawks tonight 21
- Blackhawks’ Sharp: ‘We knew we had to get two points’ 12
- Video: Brian Engblom takes a puck to the head 13
- Flames jump back into third in Pacific, beat Preds 6
- Letang concussed, Penguins will dress five defensemen 18
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks desperate for wins, Penguins seek definitive end to slump 7
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 4