Jun 18, 2013, 8:04 AM EDT
Meanwhile, the San Jose Sharks have been quiet on the subject thus far. The sticking point is likely that Couture’s signing can’t be completed until July 5. While the Pittsburgh Penguins announced Evgeni Malkin‘s signing even though he’s in the same situation, Sharks GM Doug Wilson doesn’t like to confirm signings or trades until they are official, according to San Jose Mercury News.
In other words, we might have to wait a few weeks before the Sharks formally announce the signing. That being said, Couture’s extension is expected to be a five-year deal, according to CSN’s Kevin Kurz. If that’s the case, Couture won’t be an unrestricted free agent until the summer of 2019 at the earliest.
- It’s Pittsburgh Penguins Day at PHT 20
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 36
- Tank defense: NHL changes up Draft Lottery format 49
- Fanspeak: Clarke voted greatest Flyer in franchise history 33
- Different tune: Moore hasn’t settled with Bertuzzi, says brother 27
- Rangers win Kevin Hayes sweepstakes 26
- Kovalev compares Subban to Leetch, says he isn’t worth the money 52
- Under pressure: Rick Nash 10
- Wang sells Isles to ex-Caps owner Ledecky 41
- Report: MLSE CEO Leiweke to step down (Update: Leiweke denies move) 6