Jun 18, 2013, 5:30 PM EDT
Power plays and faceoffs. For Chicago coach Joel Quenneville, they’re the two areas he hopes his team can improve tomorrow in Game 4 of the Stanley Cup Final at TD Garden.
Fortunately, things can’t get much worse. In Game 3 — a 2-0 loss to the Bruins that put the ‘Hawks down 2-1 in the series — the Blackhawks went 0-for-5 with the man advantage (making it 20 straight power plays without a goal) and lost a shocking 40 of 56 faceoffs.
“It’s tough to get a clean entry (versus Boston),” said Quenneville.
“It starts losing the draw initially. That’s the area we have to get better. Hopefully, you don’t have to resort to the entry.”
Bruins center Patrice Bergeron won 24 of the 28 faceoffs he took Monday.
“He’s one of the top guys in the league,” said Quenneville. “Give him credit for having that night he had last night. I think we’re looking at ways that we can at least get it closer to a 50/50 chance for us on most draws.”
It’s not like the ‘Hawks don’t have a top guy of their own — captain Jonathan Toews won almost 60 percent of his faceoffs during the regular season; however, he only won eight of 19 last night.
Speaking of Toews, he doesn’t have a goal in his last 10 games.
“I think right now whether it’s him or our power play, offensively I think we’re all a little gun shy in that area,” said Quenneville.
“One thing with Johnny, you can always measure how he’s going to be competing, because game in, game out he leaves it out there. Offensively maybe pressing in that area.
“Certainly it would be nice to get some production and finish to show for it.”
Mar 9, 2014, 1:09 AM EDT
A much-needed victory for Vancouver.
Mar 9, 2014, 12:14 AM EDT
Short ones on Saturday.
Mar 8, 2014, 11:32 PM EDT
Roberto Luongo: quiet, so far.
Mar 8, 2014, 11:27 PM EDT
Tyler Seguin is just on fire right now.
Mar 8, 2014, 11:09 PM EDT
Dallas scored once on the resulting five-minute major penalty.
Mar 8, 2014, 10:59 PM EDT
Seeding battles heat up.
Mar 8, 2014, 9:55 PM EDT
Jaroslav Halak wins in his Washington debut.
Mar 8, 2014, 9:40 PM EDT
He scored the game-winner for New Jersey against Carolina.
Mar 8, 2014, 8:53 PM EDT
A solid Saturday for the Sens.
Mar 8, 2014, 8:24 PM EDT
His No. 9 ascends to the rafters.
Mar 8, 2014, 8:11 PM EDT
His latest acquisitions Matt Moulson and Cody McCormick are set to debut Saturday.
Mar 8, 2014, 7:39 PM EDT
Sounds like he’ll take his talents to Europe instead.
Mar 8, 2014, 6:37 PM EDT
He was diagnosed with bacterial meningitis earlier this month.
Mar 8, 2014, 6:16 PM EDT
Craig Anderson made 46 saves on Saturday.
Mar 8, 2014, 5:45 PM EDT
Making a strong first impression in St. Louis.
Mar 8, 2014, 4:55 PM EDT
Petr Mrazek will backup Jimmy Howard.
Mar 8, 2014, 4:28 PM EDT
The Leafs have called up Frazer McLaren.
Mar 8, 2014, 3:49 PM EDT
She had a 0.96 GAA and .954 save percentage in the Olympics.
Mar 8, 2014, 3:21 PM EDT
He suffered the injury last Saturday.
Mar 8, 2014, 2:42 PM EDT
He might not be ready for the start of the playoffs either, should Columbus get that far.
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 9
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 10
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 9
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 10
- Ryan Murray has knee surgery, likely done for season 1
- Washington finally signs top prospect Kuznetsov 32
- Roberto Luongo records the shutout in first game back with Panthers 31
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack 66
- Canucks’ Kassian gets three games for boarding Dillon 27
- TGIF: Why Lightning fans can be upset with St. Louis 32
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (66)