Jun 18, 2013, 5:30 PM EDT
Power plays and faceoffs. For Chicago coach Joel Quenneville, they’re the two areas he hopes his team can improve tomorrow in Game 4 of the Stanley Cup Final at TD Garden.
Fortunately, things can’t get much worse. In Game 3 — a 2-0 loss to the Bruins that put the ‘Hawks down 2-1 in the series — the Blackhawks went 0-for-5 with the man advantage (making it 20 straight power plays without a goal) and lost a shocking 40 of 56 faceoffs.
“It’s tough to get a clean entry (versus Boston),” said Quenneville.
“It starts losing the draw initially. That’s the area we have to get better. Hopefully, you don’t have to resort to the entry.”
Bruins center Patrice Bergeron won 24 of the 28 faceoffs he took Monday.
“He’s one of the top guys in the league,” said Quenneville. “Give him credit for having that night he had last night. I think we’re looking at ways that we can at least get it closer to a 50/50 chance for us on most draws.”
It’s not like the ‘Hawks don’t have a top guy of their own — captain Jonathan Toews won almost 60 percent of his faceoffs during the regular season; however, he only won eight of 19 last night.
Speaking of Toews, he doesn’t have a goal in his last 10 games.
“I think right now whether it’s him or our power play, offensively I think we’re all a little gun shy in that area,” said Quenneville.
“One thing with Johnny, you can always measure how he’s going to be competing, because game in, game out he leaves it out there. Offensively maybe pressing in that area.
“Certainly it would be nice to get some production and finish to show for it.”
- Bylsma rips Penguins, calls effort level ‘troubling’ 14
- Cooke: I didn’t intend to collide knee-on-knee with Barrie 57
- On ‘score effects,’ and the challenges of playing with the lead 8
- MacKinnon: Avs ‘shut ourselves down’ in Game 3, not Wild 23
- Bergeron, Kopitar and Toews named Selke finalists 26
- Report: Zetterberg to return to Detroit lineup tonight (Update: Game-time decision) 58
- Kane’s OT goal ties Blackhawks – Blues series at 2-2 34
- Stars chase Andersen, tie series with Ducks 2-2 21
- Penguins blow three-goal lead, Columbus evens series 94
- NHL suspends Matt Cooke for seven games 104
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (137)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)