Jun 18, 2013, 3:26 PM EST
“I can tell the fans I’m concerned, too,” Pegula told Buffalo’s WGR-AM 550, as per the Buffalo News. “Yes, we want them here.”
Miller has one year left on the five-year, $31.25 million deal he signed with the Sabres in 2009. He has a modified no-trade clause — he can list eight teams he will not accept a trade to, according to Capgeek — and carries a $6.25 million annual cap hit.
Vanek also has one year left on his deal — a seven-year, $50 million contract signed in 2007. He carries a $7.14 million cap hit and doesn’t have a no-trade or no-movement clause.
It’s been rumored that neither player wants to stick around Buffalo for a potential rebuild.
What’s more, the future of the club appears to be with its youth, including a trio of talented forwards (first-rounders Mikhail Grigorenko, Zemgus Girgensons and Joel Armia) and goalie Matt Hackett, acquired from Minnesota in the Pominville deal.
So you can see why Vanek and Miller might be expendable.
That said, it sounds as though Pegula isn’t ready to concede it’s time to move on from Buffalo’s all-time winningest goalie and its active points leader.
But it might be out of his control.
“They have a say in that decision,” Pegula explained. “What that decision is, no one’s been re-signed yet, so we’re still working.
“Don’t forget, they’re part of that decision.”
- No hearing scheduled for Kesler after ‘dirty play’ on Dorsett 15
- Why NHL fans — no matter where they live — should care about the plunging Canadian dollar 12
- Trade: Pens acquire Lapierre from Blues for Goc 61
- Video: Habs’ Emelin ejected for hit on Stars’ Spezza 28
- Martin Brodeur to retire, become Blues asst. GM (Updated) 41
- Mike Richards clears waivers 32
- Game on: Islanders-Rangers to be played despite storm 15
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 57
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 17
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 127
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (127)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Trade: Pens acquire Lapierre from Blues for Goc (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)