Jun 18, 2013, 3:26 PM EST
“I can tell the fans I’m concerned, too,” Pegula told Buffalo’s WGR-AM 550, as per the Buffalo News. “Yes, we want them here.”
Miller has one year left on the five-year, $31.25 million deal he signed with the Sabres in 2009. He has a modified no-trade clause — he can list eight teams he will not accept a trade to, according to Capgeek — and carries a $6.25 million annual cap hit.
Vanek also has one year left on his deal — a seven-year, $50 million contract signed in 2007. He carries a $7.14 million cap hit and doesn’t have a no-trade or no-movement clause.
It’s been rumored that neither player wants to stick around Buffalo for a potential rebuild.
What’s more, the future of the club appears to be with its youth, including a trio of talented forwards (first-rounders Mikhail Grigorenko, Zemgus Girgensons and Joel Armia) and goalie Matt Hackett, acquired from Minnesota in the Pominville deal.
So you can see why Vanek and Miller might be expendable.
That said, it sounds as though Pegula isn’t ready to concede it’s time to move on from Buffalo’s all-time winningest goalie and its active points leader.
But it might be out of his control.
“They have a say in that decision,” Pegula explained. “What that decision is, no one’s been re-signed yet, so we’re still working.
“Don’t forget, they’re part of that decision.”
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 13
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 29
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 64
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 16
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 82
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Wild need two points from NHL-leading Preds 21
- Video: Potential No. 1 overall pick Connor McDavid goes end-to-end, top shelf 9
- Leafs’ Rielly apologizes for insensitive remarks (86)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Chiarelli understands scrutiny on GM and coach, but says, ‘It’s unfortunate that we’re under review for one year’ (69)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (65)