Jun 18, 2013, 3:18 PM EDT
By no means are we saying it’s likely to happen, but the odds of an NHL team one day calling Las Vegas home have to be better after today’s announcement that AEG and MGM Resorts International have teamed up to build a 20,000-seat arena on the Vegas Strip.
From the release:
The arena is expected to break ground in summer 2014, with the grand opening projected for spring 2016. The project is anticipated to cost approximately $350 million and be financed with equity contributions from each of the partners as well as privately funded third-party financing.
AEG, of course, owns half of the Los Angeles Kings. It also manages the Sprint Center in Kansas City, which has, in the past, been touted as a possible home for a relocation or expansion NHL franchise.
Granted, a Vegas arena probably wouldn’t need a full-time sports tenant, be it hockey or basketball, to make money. (We’ve heard they have the odd concert and convention in that town.)
But until this point, speculation of an NHL team moving to Vegas has been limited as there was no suitable arena, or a plan to build one.
“Some league will be here,” commissioner Gary Bettman said back in 2009. “Somebody’s going to be first, but the stadium/arena issues, I think until they resolve, will preclude any serious consideration.”
- Happy now? Kessel dropped 13 lbs. this summer 15
- Rich Peverley retires from NHL, joins Stars’ front office 9
- Update: Multiple witnesses reportedly subpoenaed in Patrick Kane rape investigation 37
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 28
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 26
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (49)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (43)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)