Jun 18, 2013, 2:16 PM EDT
It may be cliché by now — talking about the Boston Bruins and the “blue-collar” work ethic that’s been so successful for them — but there’s no doubt it remains a huge part of their identity.
“We take pride in being a blue-collar team,” said Bruins coach Claude Julien on Tuesday, the day after his team took a 2-1 series lead over the Chicago Blackhawks in the Stanley Cup Final.
“We don’t care about calling certain guys superstars on our team. We all want to be on the same level.”
Campbell, on crutches, spoke to the media today as well.
“I’m not going to put myself in front of anybody else and say I’m the picture of the Bruins,” he said when asked by a reporter about becoming “the symbol” of the team.
“This Original Six organization, goes back a long way. It kind of represents the city, a blue-collar, hard-working city with honest people.”
Campbell, in similarly humble fashion, also put the play that ended his season into proper perspective (something that was perhaps lost by some observers), explaining that “your adrenaline’s going pretty good at that point. You’re stuck on the ice with a couple of the best players in the world. You really don’t have much time to think about anything else but trying to help out and kill a penalty.”
He added: “There’s a lot of tough guys in this league. A lot of players are willing to do whatever they can to win. At this point you see that more often, guys doing whatever they can to win. I’m no different than anyone else on these two teams in the playoffs. I was just trying to finish the play and do my job.”
Game 4 of the Cup final goes Wednesday at TD Garden, where the B’s have won seven straight in the playoffs.
- Devils’ Gomez considered retirement 6
- It’s New Jersey Devils day on PHT 18
- Fanspeak: Bobby Orr named best Bruin in franchise history 25
- Video: Bruins participate in commercials to promote NHL 15 6
- Oilers ink Schultz to one-year deal 2
- It’s Boston Bruins day on PHT 41
- Fanspeak: Dominik Hasek voted greatest Sabre in franchise history 35
- Is Colorado’s rise a fair example of what might happen in Buffalo? 7
- It’s Buffalo Sabres day on PHT 19
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 13