Jun 18, 2013, 12:56 PM EDT
Columbus received some good news on the Ryan Murray front this week.
In speaking with the team website, President John Davidson said Murray — who the Jackets selected No. 2 overall at the 2012 NHL Entry Draft — is “back to 100 percent” after undergoing season-ending shoulder surgery in January.
“He’s doing very well,” Davidson said. “By the time September comes around, he’s going to be a well-conditioned young man.”
Murray is participating fully in offseason workouts and projects to be ready to go when Columbus opens training camp this fall.
While Murray’s expected to crack the Blue Jackets roster next season — at 18 years old, he played with NHLers on Team Canada at the 2012 Worlds — Davidson was quick to point out that his prized defenseman won’t turn 20 until September and has zero professional experience.
“It’s a tough position, a very tough position and things aren’t easy in this league,” Davidson explained. “This league gets better every year. It’s better than it was two years ago, three years ago, five years ago — and that’s because of the players.
“For a young defenseman to come in, we expect good things, we want good things. But it’s never easy.”
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 12
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 4
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 25
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 26
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 23
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 20
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 20
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 10
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 32
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)