Jun 18, 2013, 12:56 PM EDT
Columbus received some good news on the Ryan Murray front this week.
In speaking with the team website, President John Davidson said Murray — who the Jackets selected No. 2 overall at the 2012 NHL Entry Draft — is “back to 100 percent” after undergoing season-ending shoulder surgery in January.
“He’s doing very well,” Davidson said. “By the time September comes around, he’s going to be a well-conditioned young man.”
Murray is participating fully in offseason workouts and projects to be ready to go when Columbus opens training camp this fall.
While Murray’s expected to crack the Blue Jackets roster next season — at 18 years old, he played with NHLers on Team Canada at the 2012 Worlds — Davidson was quick to point out that his prized defenseman won’t turn 20 until September and has zero professional experience.
“It’s a tough position, a very tough position and things aren’t easy in this league,” Davidson explained. “This league gets better every year. It’s better than it was two years ago, three years ago, five years ago — and that’s because of the players.
“For a young defenseman to come in, we expect good things, we want good things. But it’s never easy.”
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 12
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 2
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 20
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 16
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 26
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 15
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 10
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Report: Draft Lottery to be held on Apr. 18 14
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Dubnyk leads Wild past Isles in SO, earns 10th straight road win (44)