Jun 18, 2013, 12:56 PM EDT
Columbus received some good news on the Ryan Murray front this week.
In speaking with the team website, President John Davidson said Murray — who the Jackets selected No. 2 overall at the 2012 NHL Entry Draft — is “back to 100 percent” after undergoing season-ending shoulder surgery in January.
“He’s doing very well,” Davidson said. “By the time September comes around, he’s going to be a well-conditioned young man.”
Murray is participating fully in offseason workouts and projects to be ready to go when Columbus opens training camp this fall.
While Murray’s expected to crack the Blue Jackets roster next season — at 18 years old, he played with NHLers on Team Canada at the 2012 Worlds — Davidson was quick to point out that his prized defenseman won’t turn 20 until September and has zero professional experience.
“It’s a tough position, a very tough position and things aren’t easy in this league,” Davidson explained. “This league gets better every year. It’s better than it was two years ago, three years ago, five years ago — and that’s because of the players.
“For a young defenseman to come in, we expect good things, we want good things. But it’s never easy.”
- (Video) McKenzie: NHLPA ‘entirely on board’ with Voynov suspension 1
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? 20
- Rutherford on Fleury: ‘As long as I’m the GM, he’ll be our goalie’ 15
- Datsyuk will play tonight in Montreal 4
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers take on ‘Hawks in Chicago 8
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 30
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 3
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 29
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 36
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)