Jun 18, 2013, 12:56 PM EDT
Columbus received some good news on the Ryan Murray front this week.
In speaking with the team website, President John Davidson said Murray — who the Jackets selected No. 2 overall at the 2012 NHL Entry Draft — is “back to 100 percent” after undergoing season-ending shoulder surgery in January.
“He’s doing very well,” Davidson said. “By the time September comes around, he’s going to be a well-conditioned young man.”
Murray is participating fully in offseason workouts and projects to be ready to go when Columbus opens training camp this fall.
While Murray’s expected to crack the Blue Jackets roster next season — at 18 years old, he played with NHLers on Team Canada at the 2012 Worlds — Davidson was quick to point out that his prized defenseman won’t turn 20 until September and has zero professional experience.
“It’s a tough position, a very tough position and things aren’t easy in this league,” Davidson explained. “This league gets better every year. It’s better than it was two years ago, three years ago, five years ago — and that’s because of the players.
“For a young defenseman to come in, we expect good things, we want good things. But it’s never easy.”
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 12
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 16
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 56
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 25
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 24
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)