Jun 18, 2013, 2:18 PM EDT
After just one year on the job, it appears Tim Hunter is on his way out of Washington.
Hunter, 52, has been given permission to talk to other clubs about a new job, Caps GM George McPhee confirmed to the Washington Post.
Based on that permission, it seems as though Hunter is done in the nation’s capital, despite being hired last summer.
A former NHLer that’s been an assistant coach for the last 14 years, Hunter was brought aboard to provide experience on a staff that featured a first-time head coach (Adam Oates) and a first-time assistant (Calle Johnansson).
It’s unclear why Hunter didn’t work out.
Oates declined to comment on the matter, and the Post speculates that — because of the playing history between Oates and Johansson (together in Washington from 1996-2002) — it’s possible they’ll look to hire another ex-Caps teammate for the position.
If that’s true, one name to keep an eye on could be former Colorado head coach Joe Sacco, who played with Oates and Johansson in Washington for three years.
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 6
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 17
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 16
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 30
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center 43
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 6
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 16
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 12
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 63
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (43)
- New Caps regime plans to keep Ovechkin at RW (for now) (42)
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal (39)