Jun 18, 2013, 2:18 PM EST
After just one year on the job, it appears Tim Hunter is on his way out of Washington.
Hunter, 52, has been given permission to talk to other clubs about a new job, Caps GM George McPhee confirmed to the Washington Post.
Based on that permission, it seems as though Hunter is done in the nation’s capital, despite being hired last summer.
A former NHLer that’s been an assistant coach for the last 14 years, Hunter was brought aboard to provide experience on a staff that featured a first-time head coach (Adam Oates) and a first-time assistant (Calle Johnansson).
It’s unclear why Hunter didn’t work out.
Oates declined to comment on the matter, and the Post speculates that — because of the playing history between Oates and Johansson (together in Washington from 1996-2002) — it’s possible they’ll look to hire another ex-Caps teammate for the position.
If that’s true, one name to keep an eye on could be former Colorado head coach Joe Sacco, who played with Oates and Johansson in Washington for three years.
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 18
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 16
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 82
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- Leafs’ Rielly apologizes for insensitive remarks (86)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Chiarelli understands scrutiny on GM and coach, but says, ‘It’s unfortunate that we’re under review for one year’ (69)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (67)