Jun 18, 2013, 2:18 PM EDT
After just one year on the job, it appears Tim Hunter is on his way out of Washington.
Hunter, 52, has been given permission to talk to other clubs about a new job, Caps GM George McPhee confirmed to the Washington Post.
Based on that permission, it seems as though Hunter is done in the nation’s capital, despite being hired last summer.
A former NHLer that’s been an assistant coach for the last 14 years, Hunter was brought aboard to provide experience on a staff that featured a first-time head coach (Adam Oates) and a first-time assistant (Calle Johnansson).
It’s unclear why Hunter didn’t work out.
Oates declined to comment on the matter, and the Post speculates that — because of the playing history between Oates and Johansson (together in Washington from 1996-2002) — it’s possible they’ll look to hire another ex-Caps teammate for the position.
If that’s true, one name to keep an eye on could be former Colorado head coach Joe Sacco, who played with Oates and Johansson in Washington for three years.
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 3
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 17
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 14
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 19
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 49
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 20
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 14
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 61
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (50)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)