Jun 18, 2013, 2:18 PM EDT
After just one year on the job, it appears Tim Hunter is on his way out of Washington.
Hunter, 52, has been given permission to talk to other clubs about a new job, Caps GM George McPhee confirmed to the Washington Post.
Based on that permission, it seems as though Hunter is done in the nation’s capital, despite being hired last summer.
A former NHLer that’s been an assistant coach for the last 14 years, Hunter was brought aboard to provide experience on a staff that featured a first-time head coach (Adam Oates) and a first-time assistant (Calle Johnansson).
It’s unclear why Hunter didn’t work out.
Oates declined to comment on the matter, and the Post speculates that — because of the playing history between Oates and Johansson (together in Washington from 1996-2002) — it’s possible they’ll look to hire another ex-Caps teammate for the position.
If that’s true, one name to keep an eye on could be former Colorado head coach Joe Sacco, who played with Oates and Johansson in Washington for three years.
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 8
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 6
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 37
- All eyes on Lundqvist 10
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 11
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 48
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 25
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)