Jun 18, 2013, 12:02 AM EST
BOSTON — Chicago’s Ben Smith didn’t expect to be playing in Game 3 of the Stanley Cup Final. The young forward wasn’t even in warm-ups before tonight’s game.
In fact, the Boston College grad and Connecticut native spent the day about as relaxed as a player in hockey’s biggest series could.
“Being in Boston it was nice. I was actually with my mom this afternoon for a bit [for lunch],” Smith said. “It’s nice being close to home, but it’s a business trip here and we’re trying to win some games.”
What made the insertion of Smith into the lineup even stranger was the fact Jamal Mayers took warmups and still wound up a scratch. Smith was happy to get a shot.
“I was just told after warm-ups I was in and it was kind of a scramble to get ready and get warm. That’s kinda been the whole thing this whole seven, eight weeks. They tell us to stay ready and you never know when your opportunity is going to come. It happened tonight.”
Even though Chicago was shut out in Game 3 2-0, for Smith it’s the highlight of his season.
“It was kind of a wild night. I’m just obviously grateful to be a part of it to get an opportunity. Just wish we could’ve gotten a win.”
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 1
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 62
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updayed) 65
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 61
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 36
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 64
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty 169
- Report: Salary cap ‘may be around’ $70 million next season 17
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 5
- Report: Laviolette a candidate to replace Capuano 25
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (169)
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updayed) (68)
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ (65)
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand (62)