Jun 18, 2013, 12:02 AM EDT
BOSTON — Chicago’s Ben Smith didn’t expect to be playing in Game 3 of the Stanley Cup Final. The young forward wasn’t even in warm-ups before tonight’s game.
In fact, the Boston College grad and Connecticut native spent the day about as relaxed as a player in hockey’s biggest series could.
“Being in Boston it was nice. I was actually with my mom this afternoon for a bit [for lunch],” Smith said. “It’s nice being close to home, but it’s a business trip here and we’re trying to win some games.”
What made the insertion of Smith into the lineup even stranger was the fact Jamal Mayers took warmups and still wound up a scratch. Smith was happy to get a shot.
“I was just told after warm-ups I was in and it was kind of a scramble to get ready and get warm. That’s kinda been the whole thing this whole seven, eight weeks. They tell us to stay ready and you never know when your opportunity is going to come. It happened tonight.”
Even though Chicago was shut out in Game 3 2-0, for Smith it’s the highlight of his season.
“It was kind of a wild night. I’m just obviously grateful to be a part of it to get an opportunity. Just wish we could’ve gotten a win.”
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 43
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 33
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 21
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 31
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 39
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off (54)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)