Jun 18, 2013, 10:23 PM EST
It’s no secret that Quebec City wants an NHL franchise, but it looks like hockey’s return to Quebec’s capital isn’t imminent.
Regardless of what happens with the Coyotes, Wayne Gretzky remains confident that there will be an NHL franchise in Quebec City — eventually.
“I think it’s only a matter of time before Quebec City is going to get a franchise,” Gretzky said, according to the Ottawa Citizen. “Listen, I think we all agree it’s a good city and it can support an NHL team, especially now with the salary cap rules and the parity we have in the game of hockey.
“When that’s going to be, it’s anybody’s guess but when they do come back in, it’s going to be a strong, solid franchise just like Winnipeg is now and it will be as successful as they are.”
Gretzky is the former head coach and part-owner of the Coyotes, but don’t assume he’s trying to share some insider information between the lines, because by his own admission he doesn’t have any on the subject.
“Honestly, I’ve not followed it at all,” he said. “I don’t live in Arizona anymore and you probably know more about it than I do.
“I’d be just guessing if I said anything . . . and probably so would you.”
He also still believes hockey can work in Glendale.
“Hopefully they get the right owner that can go in there and keep that franchise in Phoenix,” Gretzky said.
- Report: Canes’ Jordan Staal to make season debut Monday 1
- ‘We can build on this': Devils lose with Lou Lamoriello behind the bench 4
- Video: Nyquist scores OT winner on incredible individual effort 8
- Video: Ovechkin crushes Letang, Capitals cruise by the Penguins 6
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap 70
- Video: NHL on NBC panel breaks down the coaching situation in New Jersey 4
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 37
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 2
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 14
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap (69)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)