Jun 18, 2013, 10:23 PM EDT
It’s no secret that Quebec City wants an NHL franchise, but it looks like hockey’s return to Quebec’s capital isn’t imminent.
Regardless of what happens with the Coyotes, Wayne Gretzky remains confident that there will be an NHL franchise in Quebec City — eventually.
“I think it’s only a matter of time before Quebec City is going to get a franchise,” Gretzky said, according to the Ottawa Citizen. “Listen, I think we all agree it’s a good city and it can support an NHL team, especially now with the salary cap rules and the parity we have in the game of hockey.
“When that’s going to be, it’s anybody’s guess but when they do come back in, it’s going to be a strong, solid franchise just like Winnipeg is now and it will be as successful as they are.”
Gretzky is the former head coach and part-owner of the Coyotes, but don’t assume he’s trying to share some insider information between the lines, because by his own admission he doesn’t have any on the subject.
“Honestly, I’ve not followed it at all,” he said. “I don’t live in Arizona anymore and you probably know more about it than I do.
“I’d be just guessing if I said anything . . . and probably so would you.”
He also still believes hockey can work in Glendale.
“Hopefully they get the right owner that can go in there and keep that franchise in Phoenix,” Gretzky said.
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 9
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 9
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 38
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 20
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- Post expansion, could NHL realign with eight divisions? (138)
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)