Jun 18, 2013, 10:23 PM EDT
It’s no secret that Quebec City wants an NHL franchise, but it looks like hockey’s return to Quebec’s capital isn’t imminent.
Regardless of what happens with the Coyotes, Wayne Gretzky remains confident that there will be an NHL franchise in Quebec City — eventually.
“I think it’s only a matter of time before Quebec City is going to get a franchise,” Gretzky said, according to the Ottawa Citizen. “Listen, I think we all agree it’s a good city and it can support an NHL team, especially now with the salary cap rules and the parity we have in the game of hockey.
“When that’s going to be, it’s anybody’s guess but when they do come back in, it’s going to be a strong, solid franchise just like Winnipeg is now and it will be as successful as they are.”
Gretzky is the former head coach and part-owner of the Coyotes, but don’t assume he’s trying to share some insider information between the lines, because by his own admission he doesn’t have any on the subject.
“Honestly, I’ve not followed it at all,” he said. “I don’t live in Arizona anymore and you probably know more about it than I do.
“I’d be just guessing if I said anything . . . and probably so would you.”
He also still believes hockey can work in Glendale.
“Hopefully they get the right owner that can go in there and keep that franchise in Phoenix,” Gretzky said.
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 2
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 15
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 35
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 44
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 21
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? 70
- It goes to eleven: Lightning edge Rangers in track meet 34
- Brodeur signs three-year deal to be Blues’ assistant GM 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy 172
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (90)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)