Jun 18, 2013, 9:02 AM EDT
After a report surfaced that Brendan Shanahan was being courted by Calgary, possibly as a replacement for Flames president and CEO Ken King, the team offered some clarification.
King confirmed that he has talked to Shanahan and has interest in potentially hiring the NHL Senior Vice President of Player Safety. However, King denied that he is looking to step down or replace current GM Jay Feaster, according to the Calgary Sun.
King wants to expand the team’s hockey operations department rather than replace key people.
“I can tell you we are now on a long-term process to add depth to our hockey operations,” King said. “We want to get back to where we should be, and this is something we think is consistent with that.
“We have a GM, and Jay is involved in this process. He and his group are firmly entrenched in one of the most important drafts for this organization certainly in the last 20 years, maybe ever. We have the utmost confidence in their abilities.”
King added that he’s spoken with other candidates, but Shanahan is the only one he would mention by name. King also said the title of the new position hasn’t been determined yet.
- Sharks beat Kings in OT, take 3-0 stranglehold on series 20
- Rangers chase Emery, top Flyers for 2-1 series lead 42
- Bruins dominate Red Wings, take 2-1 series lead 18
- And then there were 15: Lightning eliminated 60
- WATCH LIVE: San Jose Sharks at Los Angeles Kings (Game 3) 2
- Bettman says shootouts are staying, gives salary cap estimate 31
- Video: Yeo asked if Cooke told to ‘target’ Avs, does not like question 44
- On Matt Cooke and whether he’s a ‘repeat offender’ 58
- Marleau, O’Reilly and St. Louis named Lady Byng finalists 20
- Zuccarello: ‘I’m not a diver’ 50
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (127)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)