Jun 18, 2013, 9:02 AM EST
After a report surfaced that Brendan Shanahan was being courted by Calgary, possibly as a replacement for Flames president and CEO Ken King, the team offered some clarification.
King confirmed that he has talked to Shanahan and has interest in potentially hiring the NHL Senior Vice President of Player Safety. However, King denied that he is looking to step down or replace current GM Jay Feaster, according to the Calgary Sun.
King wants to expand the team’s hockey operations department rather than replace key people.
“I can tell you we are now on a long-term process to add depth to our hockey operations,” King said. “We want to get back to where we should be, and this is something we think is consistent with that.
“We have a GM, and Jay is involved in this process. He and his group are firmly entrenched in one of the most important drafts for this organization certainly in the last 20 years, maybe ever. We have the utmost confidence in their abilities.”
King added that he’s spoken with other candidates, but Shanahan is the only one he would mention by name. King also said the title of the new position hasn’t been determined yet.
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 0
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 48
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 24
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 46
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 78
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 36
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 15
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)