Jun 18, 2013, 9:02 AM EDT
After a report surfaced that Brendan Shanahan was being courted by Calgary, possibly as a replacement for Flames president and CEO Ken King, the team offered some clarification.
King confirmed that he has talked to Shanahan and has interest in potentially hiring the NHL Senior Vice President of Player Safety. However, King denied that he is looking to step down or replace current GM Jay Feaster, according to the Calgary Sun.
King wants to expand the team’s hockey operations department rather than replace key people.
“I can tell you we are now on a long-term process to add depth to our hockey operations,” King said. “We want to get back to where we should be, and this is something we think is consistent with that.
“We have a GM, and Jay is involved in this process. He and his group are firmly entrenched in one of the most important drafts for this organization certainly in the last 20 years, maybe ever. We have the utmost confidence in their abilities.”
King added that he’s spoken with other candidates, but Shanahan is the only one he would mention by name. King also said the title of the new position hasn’t been determined yet.
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 0
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 0
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 29
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 13
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)