Jun 18, 2013, 1:12 PM EDT
In desperate need of depth at center, Calgary has acquired former Panthers draftee Corban Knight in exchange for a fourth-round pick at the 2013 NHL Entry Draft.
“Corban Knight is a player our scouts have been watching closely throughout his collegiate career,” Calgary GM Jay Feaster said in a statement. “When Florida did not sign Corban this spring we contacted them and asked for permission to speak with him. Florida granted teams, including ours, that opportunity on the condition that we were prepared to trade for his rights.
“During the past ten days we spoke with Corban and his agent, and were pleased to learn Corban wanted to start his pro career in Calgary.”
Feaster went on to add the Flames were “confident” they’ll get Knight signed after July 5, and that they’re looking forward “to his debut in a Flames’ sweater this fall.”
UPDATE: According to TSN’s Bob McKenzie, the two sides have already agreed on a two-year entry-level deal.
Knight was taken in the fifth round of the 2009 NHL Entry Draft, but proceeded to increase his value with a stellar four-year career at North Dakota.
He finished second on the team in scoring last season — 49 points in 41 games — and was one of the 10 finalists for the 2013 Hobey Baker award.
With Florida having drafted a bunch of young, talented centers over the last few years — Calder winner Jonathan Huberdeau, Nick Bjugstad, Quinton Howden, Vincent Trocheck — Knight figured his best shot at the NHL was with a different club.
“After my season finished, we had talks with Florida and negotiations took place, but it turned out it wasn’t going to work out for both parties,” he told the Edmonton Journal. “We told Florida we were going to wait until free agency (Aug. 15) or a trade.”
(Image courtesy panthers.nhl.com)
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 0
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry 7
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 31
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 43
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)