Jun 18, 2013, 11:15 AM EDT
Datsyuk has agreed to a three-year extension that will begin once his current deal expires after the 2013-14 campaign. He didn’t share the financial terms, but he’ll come with a $6.7 million annual cap hit next season.
Update: Red Wings GM Ken Holland reported that Datsyuk signed for $22.5 million, according to Detroit Free Press writer Helene St. James. That puts his cap hit beyond the 2013-14 campaign at $7.5 million.
The three-time Selke Trophy winner will be 35 once his new deal starts, which means his cap hit will stay with Detroit even if he decides to retire before the contract expires. That being said, Datsyuk is still playing at an elite level as evidenced by his 49 points in 47 games last season.
Re-signing Datsyuk kills the rumors that the Russia-born forward might leave for the KHL after the 2013-14 campaign. That’s one less major question the Red Wings will have hanging over their heads once the season starts.
This move also means that Detroit has locked up its core of forwards Datsyuk, Johan Franzen, Henrik Zetterberg, defenseman Niklas Kronwall, and goaltender Jimmy Howard through at least the 2016-17 campaign.
Apr 18, 2014, 2:27 AM EDT
But it’s one game.
Apr 18, 2014, 1:37 AM EDT
Apr 18, 2014, 1:21 AM EDT
Things got interesting in the third period.
Apr 18, 2014, 12:53 AM EDT
Apr 18, 2014, 12:46 AM EDT
Yeah, not a good night for him.
Apr 18, 2014, 12:46 AM EDT
This game may take a lot out of both teams.
Apr 18, 2014, 12:41 AM EDT
Colorado erases two-goal deficit to send it to extra time.
Apr 18, 2014, 12:07 AM EDT
It at least seems like Jonathan Toews is shaking off bumps and bruises.
Apr 17, 2014, 11:54 PM EDT
That was fast.
Apr 17, 2014, 11:36 PM EDT
He had a big night.
Apr 17, 2014, 11:22 PM EDT
These teams don’t like each other.
Apr 17, 2014, 10:58 PM EDT
The Blues forward is usually the aggressor.
Apr 17, 2014, 10:47 PM EDT
Opting to go with Mike Brown instead.
Apr 17, 2014, 10:35 PM EDT
He’ll remember that one.
Apr 17, 2014, 10:25 PM EDT
Battle of California.
Apr 17, 2014, 10:18 PM EDT
Stating the obvious.
Apr 17, 2014, 9:58 PM EDT
Could this be a key one?
Apr 17, 2014, 9:42 PM EDT
A cap hit of $7.5 million this season.
Apr 17, 2014, 9:40 PM EDT
Carl Hagelin’s face haunts Philly in Game 1.
Apr 17, 2014, 9:26 PM EDT
Did you hear Patrick Roy’s playing career ended against the Wild?
- Sharks go on the attack, defeat Kings in Game 1 7
- Avalanche win in OT, complete third-period comeback 21
- Blues prevail in longest game in franchise history as Steen scores in third OT 7
- Video: Sharks’ Brown runs Voynov into Quick, scrum ensues 2
- Opportunistic Rangers pull away from Flyers, take 1-0 series lead 53
- WATCH LIVE: Minnesota Wild at Colorado Avalanche (Game 1) 1
- WATCH LIVE: Chicago Blackhawks at St. Louis Blues (Game 1) 1
- Report: Hextall ‘in the mix’ for Vancouver GM job 25
- Fuel, meet fire: Torres to return for Sharks-Kings Game 1 11
- FYI: Hartnell and Voracek have black beards now 39