Jun 18, 2013, 11:15 AM EST
Datsyuk has agreed to a three-year extension that will begin once his current deal expires after the 2013-14 campaign. He didn’t share the financial terms, but he’ll come with a $6.7 million annual cap hit next season.
Update: Red Wings GM Ken Holland reported that Datsyuk signed for $22.5 million, according to Detroit Free Press writer Helene St. James. That puts his cap hit beyond the 2013-14 campaign at $7.5 million.
The three-time Selke Trophy winner will be 35 once his new deal starts, which means his cap hit will stay with Detroit even if he decides to retire before the contract expires. That being said, Datsyuk is still playing at an elite level as evidenced by his 49 points in 47 games last season.
Re-signing Datsyuk kills the rumors that the Russia-born forward might leave for the KHL after the 2013-14 campaign. That’s one less major question the Red Wings will have hanging over their heads once the season starts.
This move also means that Detroit has locked up its core of forwards Datsyuk, Johan Franzen, Henrik Zetterberg, defenseman Niklas Kronwall, and goaltender Jimmy Howard through at least the 2016-17 campaign.
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 10
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 12
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 24
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 17
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 15
- Four goals: Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 62
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 13
- Neal admits kneeing Marchand was ‘not the smartest decision’ 78
- Leafs captain Phaneuf suspended two games for boarding 37
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)