Jun 18, 2013, 11:15 AM EDT
Datsyuk has agreed to a three-year extension that will begin once his current deal expires after the 2013-14 campaign. He didn’t share the financial terms, but he’ll come with a $6.7 million annual cap hit next season.
Update: Red Wings GM Ken Holland reported that Datsyuk signed for $22.5 million, according to Detroit Free Press writer Helene St. James. That puts his cap hit beyond the 2013-14 campaign at $7.5 million.
The three-time Selke Trophy winner will be 35 once his new deal starts, which means his cap hit will stay with Detroit even if he decides to retire before the contract expires. That being said, Datsyuk is still playing at an elite level as evidenced by his 49 points in 47 games last season.
Re-signing Datsyuk kills the rumors that the Russia-born forward might leave for the KHL after the 2013-14 campaign. That’s one less major question the Red Wings will have hanging over their heads once the season starts.
This move also means that Detroit has locked up its core of forwards Datsyuk, Johan Franzen, Henrik Zetterberg, defenseman Niklas Kronwall, and goaltender Jimmy Howard through at least the 2016-17 campaign.
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 3
- Bruins ruin Lundqvist’s return 26
- Video: Letang hospitalized after Doan hit (Update) 42
- Bruins chalk Rask’s absence up to dehydration (Update) 4
- Happy returns: Datsyuk plays for Detroit 2
- Gearing up: Malkin, Hornqvist return for Pens 0
- Five big games to watch this weekend 8
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 36
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)