Jun 18, 2013, 9:51 AM EDT
The Minnesota Wild’s cap situation isn’t dire, but they don’t have a lot of wiggle room with the ceiling lowering to $64.3 million. That’s problematic because they still need to ink a number one goaltender.
Using one of their compliance buyouts on 32-year-old forward Dany Heatley would be the quickest fix given that it would create $7.5 million in cap space, but that might not be an option, according to the Star Tribune.
The problem is that this summer’s first window for buying out a contract opens 48 hours after the Stanley Cup Final and closes on July 5. Heatley is recovering from a torn labrum and would need to be medically cleared before he can be bought out.
“We have a few different ways we can get to the cap,” Wild GM Chuck Fletcher said. “We have options, but some things are easier done than others.”
With that in mind, it’s believed that defenseman Tom Gilbert is on the trading block and might even be an alternate candidate to be bought out.
Like Heatley, Gilbert only has one season left on his contract. Buying out Gilbert would save the team $4 million in cap space after he recorded 13 points and had a minus-11 rating in 43 games in 2013.
“I’ve had a lot of conversations with teams and we’re taking as many calls as we’re making,” said Fletcher. He’s expecting trade discussions to heat up on Wednesday when the league’s GMs meet in Boston.
There’s also a chance that Heatley will be healthy when the next buyout window opens after the arbitration period, but that one’s a little more complicated. Even if Heatley is medically cleared by that point, they can only take advantage of that opportunity if they take one of their restricted free agents to arbitration.
Either way, addressing the team’s needs while staying under the cap will be a challenge, but Fletcher isn’t too worried.
“There are a lot of teams that are in worse shape than we are,” he said.
Apr 23, 2014, 2:17 AM EDT
They’ll be facing elimination on Thursday.
Apr 23, 2014, 1:25 AM EDT
Stunner at the Staples Center.
Apr 23, 2014, 12:07 AM EDT
Impressive, but just his first marker of the series.
Apr 22, 2014, 11:50 PM EDT
Apr 22, 2014, 11:31 PM EDT
“They thrived on it.”
Apr 22, 2014, 11:06 PM EDT
Some thought he was milking an injury and even holding the wrong knee.
Apr 22, 2014, 10:53 PM EDT
Flyers fans give it right back, though.
Apr 22, 2014, 10:45 PM EDT
Get this: people will be talking about Flyers goaltending.
Apr 22, 2014, 10:40 PM EDT
Not exactly a thing of beauty, but it counts…
Apr 22, 2014, 10:25 PM EDT
Kept him out of the entire opening round.
Apr 22, 2014, 10:14 PM EDT
Boston’s first win at Joe Louis Arena in seven years.
Apr 22, 2014, 10:03 PM EDT
Not the names you’d expect, huh?
Apr 22, 2014, 9:50 PM EDT
Tampa Bay hits a wall called Montreal.
Apr 22, 2014, 9:39 PM EDT
Another blowout coming?
Apr 22, 2014, 9:03 PM EDT
And creates a little bit of controversy in the process.
Apr 22, 2014, 8:41 PM EDT
Could this be his last appearance with Tampa Bay?
Apr 22, 2014, 7:50 PM EDT
Also: Capitals Winter Classic and Islanders ownership talk.
Apr 22, 2014, 7:14 PM EDT
Steve Mason backs up Ray Emery for Philly.
Apr 22, 2014, 6:42 PM EDT
Who can take a 2-1 lead?
Apr 22, 2014, 6:25 PM EDT
At least there wasn’t a school bus involved with this comparison.
- Sharks beat Kings in OT, take 3-0 stranglehold on series 20
- Rangers chase Emery, top Flyers for 2-1 series lead 42
- Bruins dominate Red Wings, take 2-1 series lead 18
- And then there were 15: Lightning eliminated 60
- WATCH LIVE: San Jose Sharks at Los Angeles Kings (Game 3) 2
- Bettman says shootouts are staying, gives salary cap estimate 31
- Video: Yeo asked if Cooke told to ‘target’ Avs, does not like question 44
- On Matt Cooke and whether he’s a ‘repeat offender’ 58
- Marleau, O’Reilly and St. Louis named Lady Byng finalists 20
- Zuccarello: ‘I’m not a diver’ 50
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (127)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)