Jun 18, 2013, 9:51 AM EST
The Minnesota Wild’s cap situation isn’t dire, but they don’t have a lot of wiggle room with the ceiling lowering to $64.3 million. That’s problematic because they still need to ink a number one goaltender.
Using one of their compliance buyouts on 32-year-old forward Dany Heatley would be the quickest fix given that it would create $7.5 million in cap space, but that might not be an option, according to the Star Tribune.
The problem is that this summer’s first window for buying out a contract opens 48 hours after the Stanley Cup Final and closes on July 5. Heatley is recovering from a torn labrum and would need to be medically cleared before he can be bought out.
“We have a few different ways we can get to the cap,” Wild GM Chuck Fletcher said. “We have options, but some things are easier done than others.”
With that in mind, it’s believed that defenseman Tom Gilbert is on the trading block and might even be an alternate candidate to be bought out.
Like Heatley, Gilbert only has one season left on his contract. Buying out Gilbert would save the team $4 million in cap space after he recorded 13 points and had a minus-11 rating in 43 games in 2013.
“I’ve had a lot of conversations with teams and we’re taking as many calls as we’re making,” said Fletcher. He’s expecting trade discussions to heat up on Wednesday when the league’s GMs meet in Boston.
There’s also a chance that Heatley will be healthy when the next buyout window opens after the arbitration period, but that one’s a little more complicated. Even if Heatley is medically cleared by that point, they can only take advantage of that opportunity if they take one of their restricted free agents to arbitration.
Either way, addressing the team’s needs while staying under the cap will be a challenge, but Fletcher isn’t too worried.
“There are a lot of teams that are in worse shape than we are,” he said.
Nov 27, 2014, 9:26 AM EST
The hit generated a five-minute major and game misconduct.
Nov 27, 2014, 8:18 AM EST
Turkey Day’s assortment of links.
Nov 27, 2014, 1:45 AM EST
Callahan and Stamkos lead the way in win over Rangers.
Nov 27, 2014, 12:40 AM EST
Avs fall 3-2 to the Blackhawks.
Nov 26, 2014, 11:55 PM EST
Returned after missing four games due to injury.
Nov 26, 2014, 11:05 PM EST
The Pittsburgh captain reaches point No. 800 in the win.
Nov 26, 2014, 10:20 PM EST
Scores his seventh of the season.
Nov 26, 2014, 9:45 PM EST
Also touches on Martin St. Louis’ return to Tampa Bay.
Nov 26, 2014, 9:08 PM EST
Appeared to hurt his left shoulder. Team calling it an upper body injury.
Nov 26, 2014, 8:42 PM EST
The Winnipeg forward was tossed from the game.
Nov 26, 2014, 8:35 PM EST
Has the game’s opening goal tonight.
Nov 26, 2014, 8:20 PM EST
Gets a double-minor on the play.
Nov 26, 2014, 8:10 PM EST
Spent 13 seasons in Tampa Bay.
Nov 26, 2014, 8:05 PM EST
Opened the scoring for Tampa Bay.
Nov 26, 2014, 7:45 PM EST
Expected to join the Blues for practice on Friday.
Nov 26, 2014, 7:00 PM EST
Replaced by Andre Benoit.
Nov 26, 2014, 6:30 PM EST
Was hurt during Tuesday’s practice.
Nov 26, 2014, 5:31 PM EST
Two teams meet for the second time this season.
Nov 26, 2014, 5:12 PM EST
After an injury to Brian Elliott.
Nov 26, 2014, 5:00 PM EST
Yappy Lappy was at it again.
- Roy: ‘They got away with things that we could not’ 9
- Video: Panthers’ Luongo leaves game due to injury (Updated) 0
- Video: Jets’ Lowry hits Sabres’ Kaleta from behind 5
- Video: Lightning pay tribute to St. Louis 6
- He’s baaaaack: Brodeur joins Blues on tryout basis 20
- Chelios calls ex-teammate Shanahan an inexperienced ‘politician’ 16
- Sharks players go to bat for McLellan: ‘Why would you get rid of him?’ 1
- Garbutt to have hearing for kneeing Hall 3
- The day before Thanksgiving, six new playoff teams 16
- What they’re saying about St. Louis’ return to Tampa Bay 24
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (101)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)