Jun 18, 2013, 5:30 PM EST
Montreal prosecutors have withdrawn six assault charges on four-time NHL All-Star Vincent Damphousse, the Canadian Press reports.
Damphousse, 45, had the charges dropped after prosecutors reviewed his case, which claimed the former Maple Leaf, Oiler, Canadien and Shark assaulted his ex-wife between 2008 and 2011.
“This is now behind me,” Damphousse said in a statement. “I am relieved and I think all those who supported me during that time.”
The charges, filed in Apr. 2011, stemmed from an estrangement between Damphousse and his ex, Alanna Henderson. At the time, Damphousse “categorically denied” the allegations and subsequently filed a complaint against Henderson for assault.
According to the CP, Henderson will continue to face charges in a separate case — one charge of assault with a weapon, one of theft of a briefcase — with a trial date set for Jan. 2015.
Damphousse, who won a Stanley Cup win Montreal and served as team captain from 1996-99, said he plans to return to his role as a hockey analyst with French sports network RDS in the fall.
- Leafs’ Panik latest to be fined for diving 0
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 30
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 4
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 7
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 12
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 23
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 50
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)