Jun 18, 2013, 5:30 PM EST
Montreal prosecutors have withdrawn six assault charges on four-time NHL All-Star Vincent Damphousse, the Canadian Press reports.
Damphousse, 45, had the charges dropped after prosecutors reviewed his case, which claimed the former Maple Leaf, Oiler, Canadien and Shark assaulted his ex-wife between 2008 and 2011.
“This is now behind me,” Damphousse said in a statement. “I am relieved and I think all those who supported me during that time.”
The charges, filed in Apr. 2011, stemmed from an estrangement between Damphousse and his ex, Alanna Henderson. At the time, Damphousse “categorically denied” the allegations and subsequently filed a complaint against Henderson for assault.
According to the CP, Henderson will continue to face charges in a separate case — one charge of assault with a weapon, one of theft of a briefcase — with a trial date set for Jan. 2015.
Damphousse, who won a Stanley Cup win Montreal and served as team captain from 1996-99, said he plans to return to his role as a hockey analyst with French sports network RDS in the fall.
- Wild coach accuses Sharks of embellishment 28
- Lundqvist hooked after three first-period goals as Rangers’ woes continue 24
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 42
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 19
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 37
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 83
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 33
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (184)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)