Jun 18, 2013, 5:30 PM EDT
Montreal prosecutors have withdrawn six assault charges on four-time NHL All-Star Vincent Damphousse, the Canadian Press reports.
Damphousse, 45, had the charges dropped after prosecutors reviewed his case, which claimed the former Maple Leaf, Oiler, Canadien and Shark assaulted his ex-wife between 2008 and 2011.
“This is now behind me,” Damphousse said in a statement. “I am relieved and I think all those who supported me during that time.”
The charges, filed in Apr. 2011, stemmed from an estrangement between Damphousse and his ex, Alanna Henderson. At the time, Damphousse “categorically denied” the allegations and subsequently filed a complaint against Henderson for assault.
According to the CP, Henderson will continue to face charges in a separate case — one charge of assault with a weapon, one of theft of a briefcase — with a trial date set for Jan. 2015.
Damphousse, who won a Stanley Cup win Montreal and served as team captain from 1996-99, said he plans to return to his role as a hockey analyst with French sports network RDS in the fall.
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 36
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 24
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 34
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 29
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 9
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 39
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension 91
- Sabres, Panthers have best odds for 2014 NHL draft lottery 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- Halak’s agent ‘bewildered’ by Oates’ remarks prior to Blues game (51)
- Here’s the schedule for the first round of the 2014 playoffs (51)