Jun 18, 2013, 5:30 PM EDT
Montreal prosecutors have withdrawn six assault charges on four-time NHL All-Star Vincent Damphousse, the Canadian Press reports.
Damphousse, 45, had the charges dropped after prosecutors reviewed his case, which claimed the former Maple Leaf, Oiler, Canadien and Shark assaulted his ex-wife between 2008 and 2011.
“This is now behind me,” Damphousse said in a statement. “I am relieved and I think all those who supported me during that time.”
The charges, filed in Apr. 2011, stemmed from an estrangement between Damphousse and his ex, Alanna Henderson. At the time, Damphousse “categorically denied” the allegations and subsequently filed a complaint against Henderson for assault.
According to the CP, Henderson will continue to face charges in a separate case — one charge of assault with a weapon, one of theft of a briefcase — with a trial date set for Jan. 2015.
Damphousse, who won a Stanley Cup win Montreal and served as team captain from 1996-99, said he plans to return to his role as a hockey analyst with French sports network RDS in the fall.
- Five big games to watch this weekend 1
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 28
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 28
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 34
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 32
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 14
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 51
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 20
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 16
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (51)