Jun 18, 2013, 5:30 PM EDT
Montreal prosecutors have withdrawn six assault charges on four-time NHL All-Star Vincent Damphousse, the Canadian Press reports.
Damphousse, 45, had the charges dropped after prosecutors reviewed his case, which claimed the former Maple Leaf, Oiler, Canadien and Shark assaulted his ex-wife between 2008 and 2011.
“This is now behind me,” Damphousse said in a statement. “I am relieved and I think all those who supported me during that time.”
The charges, filed in Apr. 2011, stemmed from an estrangement between Damphousse and his ex, Alanna Henderson. At the time, Damphousse “categorically denied” the allegations and subsequently filed a complaint against Henderson for assault.
According to the CP, Henderson will continue to face charges in a separate case — one charge of assault with a weapon, one of theft of a briefcase — with a trial date set for Jan. 2015.
Damphousse, who won a Stanley Cup win Montreal and served as team captain from 1996-99, said he plans to return to his role as a hockey analyst with French sports network RDS in the fall.
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks at Ducks, Game 5 of Western Conference Final 1
- In the playoffs, sometimes it comes down to the ‘bounces’ 2
- Now feels like a good time to debate Stamkos’ next contract 25
- Here’s the latest on coaching searches in Buffalo, San Jose and New Jersey 3
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 9
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 19
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 16
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 75
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)