Jun 17, 2013, 12:20 PM EDT
Former New York Rangers bench boss John Tortorella will have a second interview with Vancouver about its vacant head coaching gig this week, according to CBC’s Elliotte Friedman.
News of a second interview comes days after The Province reported Torts’ first discussion with Canucks brass “went over extremely well.”
This has led many to speculate the 2004 Jack Adams winner is a frontrunner for the job.
Here’s more, from Friedman:
Information about his first one is not exactly flowing across the atmosphere, but it sounds like a lot of time was spent discussing media interaction.
The Canucks don’t want daily craziness and Tortorella apparently understands he will have to be different.
Vancouver is the hardest English market in the NHL. There is no doubt the man can coach, but [Canucks GM Mike] Gillis’ toughest decision may be whether or not he truly believes Tortorella can handle it.
Another rumored leading candidate for the gig, Los Angeles assistant John Stevens, is also believed to have a second interview lined up for this week, though there’s been no confirmation that it’ll happen.
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 11
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 38
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 33
- Lundqvist shuts out Red Wings to claim 300th victory 11
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 10
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 19
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 23
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 11
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 12
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (67)