Jun 17, 2013, 12:20 PM EDT
Former New York Rangers bench boss John Tortorella will have a second interview with Vancouver about its vacant head coaching gig this week, according to CBC’s Elliotte Friedman.
News of a second interview comes days after The Province reported Torts’ first discussion with Canucks brass “went over extremely well.”
This has led many to speculate the 2004 Jack Adams winner is a frontrunner for the job.
Here’s more, from Friedman:
Information about his first one is not exactly flowing across the atmosphere, but it sounds like a lot of time was spent discussing media interaction.
The Canucks don’t want daily craziness and Tortorella apparently understands he will have to be different.
Vancouver is the hardest English market in the NHL. There is no doubt the man can coach, but [Canucks GM Mike] Gillis’ toughest decision may be whether or not he truly believes Tortorella can handle it.
Another rumored leading candidate for the gig, Los Angeles assistant John Stevens, is also believed to have a second interview lined up for this week, though there’s been no confirmation that it’ll happen.
- All eyes on Lundqvist 8
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 9
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 27
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 38
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 46
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 21
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? 70
- It goes to eleven: Lightning edge Rangers in track meet 34
- Brodeur signs three-year deal to be Blues’ assistant GM 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (90)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)