Jun 17, 2013, 12:20 PM EDT
Former New York Rangers bench boss John Tortorella will have a second interview with Vancouver about its vacant head coaching gig this week, according to CBC’s Elliotte Friedman.
News of a second interview comes days after The Province reported Torts’ first discussion with Canucks brass “went over extremely well.”
This has led many to speculate the 2004 Jack Adams winner is a frontrunner for the job.
Here’s more, from Friedman:
Information about his first one is not exactly flowing across the atmosphere, but it sounds like a lot of time was spent discussing media interaction.
The Canucks don’t want daily craziness and Tortorella apparently understands he will have to be different.
Vancouver is the hardest English market in the NHL. There is no doubt the man can coach, but [Canucks GM Mike] Gillis’ toughest decision may be whether or not he truly believes Tortorella can handle it.
Another rumored leading candidate for the gig, Los Angeles assistant John Stevens, is also believed to have a second interview lined up for this week, though there’s been no confirmation that it’ll happen.
- Five big games to watch this weekend 1
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 28
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 28
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 34
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 32
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 14
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 51
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 20
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 16
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (51)